Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Certified to fix all makes and models
3827149

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: 2008 Volks Passat turbo 2.0 TSI...Loud

Customer Question

2008 Volks Passat turbo 2.0 TSI...Loud squealing noise with serpentine belt on...without the belt on... the squealing stops....any suggestions???
Category: VW
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 2 years ago.
Most common is a faulty serpentine belt tensioner.With the belt of turn each pulley and let me know which has the most resistance and does not spin smooth.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They all spin smooth.....
Ok then it has to be a weak serpentine belt tensioner has this been checked ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have replaced the pulley... but not the tensioner bracket because it is hard to pull...spring has a lot of tension

It may seem that way but once its replaced it will have the correct amount of tension on it .You will need to replace the serpentine belt tensioner as well as the belt for this issue if all the pulleys are ok as well as the a/c compressor clutch .These are the next steps.
Hoped this helped . Bonuses greatly appreciated. Please click excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks . Anything lower is negative feedback . If you need further assistance please let me know thanks !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it dose not make any noise at first only after 10 to 15 min after running and when you speed the motor up it stops
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  David-VAG replied 2 years ago.

Hi I would next check the one way pulley on the alternator as these have been known to seize up and cause horrible noises on the drive belts. To test it you need to remove the belt and the grab the pulley in one hand and spin it back and forth quite hard. One way the alternator should also turn internally and the other way the alternators internals should stop due to the one way clutch inside the pulley unit. If that is of check the bottom pulley as the rubber bonding between the 2 sections can break lose allowing the outer section to slip on the inner section.

I hope this helps further and please feel free to ask if I can help you further

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the alternator suppossed to turn both directions or is the clutch suppossed to stop the internal when turned backwards.....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
had to wait overnite on my behalf and need answer as soon as possible...David-VAG was very helpful along with cardoctor 74....both were offline when i got back to my computer
I'm here now . Which pulley are you having an issue with ? Also the serpentine belt tensioner can still be the issue I would focus there .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alternator.... Is the internal alternator supp. to stop on the clutch side or is it supp. to turn
The alternator should turn free in either direction if here is any resistance in either direction that is your issue . Hoped this helped . Bonuses greatly appreciated. Please click excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks . Anything lower is negative feedback . If you need further assistance please let me know thanks !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With the serpentine belt off..... it is squealing TERRIBLY.....

Ok so there is nothing spinning besides behind the timing cover correct ? Alternator checked out ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alternator is ok... All accessories are ok... the noise is coming from behind the timing cover

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

Ok thats the issue then. The problem is a timing belt tensioner or the belt itself . This needs to be checked next for this issue before the belts snaps and the engine gets damaged . Hoped this helped . Bonuses greatly appreciated. Please click excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks . Anything lower is negative feedback . If you need further assistance please let me know thanks !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have ordered a timing belt, tension pully for timing belt and a water pump... will have them in the morning and then I will let you know if I still have a squeal........
Ok not a problem I will be here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have removed the timing cover on the top ... it is a chain ...not a belt..??? so now....what could be squealing like we have previously talked about

The tensioner itself or the guides are bad for the timing chain. Does the chain have to much slack?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it possible that the turbo would be making the squealing noise because with the belt off of the car.. it squeals but it doesnt squeal "under a load" (acceleration)

Possible but you stated the noise was behind the timing cover . Listen with a long screw driver at the turbo and you can then tell if it's coming from there .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My question is ...where else would the sqealing be coming from...its a timing chain ..not a belt. .it sounds like an extremely loud belt squeal....(like a pulley is locked up and the belt is squealing)... The only way I can check the turbo is to put it all back together.. Is there anything else I should check before I do so.... Remember , I told you that it does not start to squeal until the car has been running for about 20 minutes... It does not do it at start up.........................
Ok them yes put it back together as long as there is no slack in the timing chain. Since it only when warmed up the bearing in the turbo can be failing and we need to check that next .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see no slack in the timing chain so I am going to put it back together.... will be back with you as soon as i get it put back together...................
Ok will be here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay... I have put it back together..... checked the turbo....turbo sounds fine... I am getting disgusted....the noise is a screeching, ear deafening noise.... I did not put the belt back on ....let it run about 20 min. and it started again.... After listening close once again..... now that I have checked all of the above.. the noise seems to be coming from the bottom part of the motor...but is very hard to tell... harmonic balancer (crank pulley)???
Ok is there a way you can post the sound for me to hear ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just thought about that???? Can you tell me how I would do that....I have a smart phone if that is of any help???? or another suggestion??? Do you have a phone #
You can post the sound clip to YouTube and send me the link here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know how to do that.....Can you call me?????? 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX
No it's against site rules.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok... you wouldnt have to say anything...just listen.... if not... what suggestions can you give me now.......
Can you post the sound clip ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a another mechanic listen to this noise ... He poured water on the crank pulley and the noise stopped... So ... I assumed it is either the seal or the crank pulley. I have removed the crank pulley and my question is: Is the crank suppossed to move( wobble) or is it suppossed to be stationary......

Stationary if it's wobbling the crank pulley is the issue there a rubber damper that can be the issue . I would start here next . If you run it with the crank pulley off and there's no noise that's the issue ..Hoped this helped . Bonuses greatly appreciated. Please click excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks . Anything lower is negative feedback . If you need further assistance please let me know thanks !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have ordered a front seal ... I am going to try that first and I will get back to you tommorrow and let you know
Ok keep me posted.