Chris VW Master Tech
Chris VW Master Tech, VW Technician
Experience:  City & Guilds 1,2,3 Vw Master Tech cars&vans, VW Licence Tech
10684209

2006 vw passat: warning lights..brake pedal..parking brake

epb on 2006 vw passat b6.
parking brake wont disengage. flashing red and yellow warning lights as well as brake button light also flashing. brakes mottors motor on and off can be felt on brake pedal but parking brake doesnt disengage. parking brake fault comes up on combi cluster.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris VW Master Tech replied 2 years ago.

Chris VW Master Tech :

Hello and thankyou for using just answer. Ok this model passat does suffer with parking brake issues from defective calipers to defective buttons and also faulty park brake control modules, there are also some software upgrades for these faults but these have to be carried out by a main dealer, can i check that at the moment the parking brake is stuck on? i would advise that you get the fault memory of the prking brake control module check with a diag machine, as all the time those lights are on dash display, there will be a fault logged in ECU, which would give us a clear indication of whats failed here, there is also some basic settings which can be carried out to reset the rear calipers, but yet again a diag machine is needed, if the brakes are stuck on, then you can slide underneath the rear of car and remove the black cover/ motor on rear of each caliper, and you will see a large torx screw in centre, if you undo this a quarter of a turn this will release the calipers to enable you to move car so you can get it to a garage, hope this helps Chris

Customer:
Customer:

chris,

Customer:

yes the [ark brake is stuck on, was ok sunday hasnr moed since and ive never had any trouble with it before. i did remove a couple of fuses the other day there trying to find where it was pulling 1 amp from, would this have caused a fualt with the parking brake?

Chris VW Master Tech :

yes it could have , are you sure you have replaced all the fuses back in there correct location, as if the fuse is in the incorrect location this may be why the brake calipers are not operating correctly? i would advise you recheck this, if your not sure and you can give me the 10th digit of the Vin No and also the 3 letter engine code i will check the wiring diagrams so we can confirm the fuses are in there correct location for the parking brake, regards Chris

Customer:

thanks for your reply, the fuses i removed were fuse numbers 15, 44 36 and either38 or 37 all on the drivers side fuse box, all 15 amp fuses, dont think any of these are to do with the parking brake. 10 digit of VIN no. is 6. cant find the engine number.

chers

Chris VW Master Tech :

ok thanks please await my reply

Chris VW Master Tech :

Hi non of them fuses are for the electronic handbrake, the fuses you need to check are 29,30 in drivers side fuse box and fuses 2,30,31 on passanger side fuse box, these fuses are dependent on model so some may not be there , regards Chris

Customer:
Customer:

chris,

sorry i have'nt been in touch,

Customer:

couldnt do anything with the car, had to book a recovery vehicle to transport to dealer. turned out the right hand brake motor was siezed had to have it renewed. thanks for your help anyway.

Customer:
Chris VW Master Tech, VW Technician
Experience: City & Guilds 1,2,3 Vw Master Tech cars&vans, VW Licence Tech