I have a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI with 146kms. Recently it has just lost power while driving. The interior lights went out first followed by the engine slowly loosing power to a stop over 2km. I parked the car and the next day got a boost and it started. It has done this similar type of thing twice. I have replaced the battery and changed the V-belt. Since they it has done the same thing twice where I loose power and then the car stalls, both times I was able to restart the car, but this is an area of concern, because i want to do some long trips. Alternator light comes on when the car is started and goes away when i rev the engine. I have also had the cap, rotor, and ignition cables replaced. any ideas???
Country: CanadaMake: VolkswagenModel: Rabbit GTIYear: 1984Engine: 1.8 sohc
Replacing the ignition wires, cap, rotor, spark plugs, battery, and v-belt
HelloI'd start by checking that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacementThis could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Crank position sensorThrottle position sensorIgnition ECUAlso worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pumpAnd also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.aspAlso its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V
The wire that goes from the alternator to the battery likely has high resistance so the alternator isn't able to charge the battery. The car doesn't have a crank pos sensor or anything like that.Replace the alternator cable.Danny
ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner