Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs

2006 transporter: fault codes 16618 p0234..reduced power..tdi

fault codes 16618 p0234 and has reduced power.on my 2006 transporter t32 2.5 tdi 174 bhp
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

Eurocar Inc : Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!
Eurocar Inc : What is the odometer reading ?
Eurocar Inc : Was there any repair work done with the vehicle lately?
Eurocar Inc : Thanks will wait for reply
Customer:

95632,no repair work has been carried out

Eurocar Inc : Ok did you have any symptoms before the check engine light come on while driving and you would get a reduced power?
Customer:

no previous symptons or problems,the engine warning light did not come on just the loss of power

Eurocar Inc :

hello

Customer:

hi,

Eurocar Inc :

there are several things that can be the issue

Customer:

ok

Eurocar Inc :

first thin before the details if you turn off the car and restart does the power come back?

Customer:

yes,but then it comes back after few minutes of driving

Eurocar Inc :

i will start with the common issues with boost issues and power reduction

1st common issue is that the turbo vane actuator /vanes stick and then if it sees an overboost then the reduced power comes along and you limp to the side of the road (very common) and requires a turbo replacement assy w/ new actuator

Eurocar Inc :

second is the vac hoses (common) but you have an overboost condition code vac hoses broken would cause underboost while driving at startup so this will be eliminated

Eurocar Inc :

3rd the n75 valve (turbo boost controller) solenoid can be sticking (very limited cases of failure) but it is possible

Customer:

so it looks like i may need a turbo?

Eurocar Inc :

due to the odometer and age leads me to a turbo replacement

Eurocar Inc :

while replacement recommend also to remove the intake manifold and have the carbon cleaned as best as possible to prolong the new turbo's life

Eurocar Inc :

i know it is not the good news you want to hear because of an expensive repair!

Customer:

not the best as i only had it for 2 months,thanks for the assist

Eurocar Inc :

sure just remember the positived feedback !! thanks

Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience: Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs