Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical

2001 jetta: 125,000miles...limp mode every morning until car is driven

2001 jetta vr6. 125,000miles. Transmission goes into limp mode every morning until car is driven for about 2 hours. got code 00270 solenoid valve 7 (n94) open or shorted to ground.
Will I damage the car driving like this? Is this an expensive fix(I am probably due for a transmission fluid drain and fill)
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Martin and I am at your service to assist with your VW problems.
Yes you are correct it will be an expensive fix and driving the car in this condition is not good. The gearbox is having a hard time to select the correct gear, that is why the computer is selecting the limp mode. The clutch packs do not have the correct oil pressure when this electrical valve does not act as it should and, in time, the clutch pack will no longer grip. Due to all the slippage the plates wear off.
To fix this problem will necessitate getting a complete new valve body in the gearbox. This will have to be done by a specialist. I am, unfortunately, unable to quote prices as I reside in South Africa.
I hope this is of help to you.
Should you require further assistance do not hesitate to ask.