vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

My 2002 Jetta Automatic transmission will not shift out of

Customer Question

My 2002 Jetta Automatic transmission will not shift out of 1st gear car runs check engine light is on
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

have you checked the faults in the engine control module or the trans module yet ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe it was p780 not 100% sure. Every once in awhile the car will shift and it goes hard from 1st to 2nd. Notice the transmission comes back in when I am going up a hill maybe because of higher rpms?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Dpo you mean p0780??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I believe that is the code
Ok have you checked for metal shavings in the fluid yet or in the trans pan ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Transmission is a sealed sytem VW is calling a lifetime fluid
It's a sealed Trans but you can checked for metal shavings in the fluid , and you do have a 2.0 liter not a 1.8 correct ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have the 2.0 liter engine. I have not checked for metal shavings no.
This will need to be the next step and also have the trans leak tested to see if you have internal clutch pack issue inside the transmission these are the next steps you will need to take .I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get at the transmission fluid in this car?
The Allen bolt at the bottom of the Trans pan