gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Volkswagen T5: I have a T5 Caravelle. The Central Locking is

I have a T5 Caravelle. The Central Locking is working but the 2 sliding door's "knobs" are not going up and thus not unlocking. Only the front doors and tail gate are unlocking. The left side sliding door's knob are going up 1 out of 100 times but then I cannot get it open from the inside or outside as the handles are not "grabbing". What must I do?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 4 years ago.
There are two common issues- one is that the sliding door trim may be popping loose from the door, causing the knob to "bind". The other is that the contact pads at the leading edge of the door frame, or the contact "pins" at the leading edge of the door, may not be contacting correctly indicating the door is closed, or transmitting the signal through the pads to the wiring inside the door. When the door is open, the wiring is NOT connected AT ALL, the only way it gets any signals is through those contact pads. Try cleaning them with some contact cleaner or a pencil eraser, and you may need to actually remove the pin assembly from the door and clean the contacts on the backside of the sliding pins.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the support. I cleaned the 1 door's contact pins and it seems to be working now. What about the rest of my question regarding the handles of the other door that will not open the door after it is unlocked? How will I get the door open in the first place?
You may need to try pulling the pin up manually and see if that helps- when the door is locked, an assembly rotates so that the door handle pulls do not contact and release the latch- when you unlock it those contacts rotate back into place. Make sure that the handles are fully released and then try cycling the knob up and down a few times by hand. If not, you may have to remove the trim panel from the door and see if something is off or disconnected from the latch (at the rear edge of the door)