Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

Volkswagen Golf V Gti: I have a Golf V GTi and my EPC light

I have a Golf V GTi and my EPC light stays on and as soon as it goes on I have no power, can only drive 40-50km/h. Everytime I have to restart the vehicle to get the light of and then just for a day it stays of and then it comes on again!!! Help please
Category: VW
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

THere are many reasons that the EPC ( electronic power control) light can come on...and when it does - the systems are put into Limp mode by the Ecu ( engine management computer) ...hence, your lack / loss of power... So the loss of power is either because of the fault itself and / or, the fact that the systems are in Limp mode.

To find out why this is happening - you need to have the above Ecu scanned with fault code reader..

There are literally hundreds of fault codes that can be stored / logged in the Ecu because of faults such as this - many items on the engine / engine management systems - electronics / sensors / actuators....all manner of things can cause this EPC to come on and give you what you have -

You have no way of guessing what the fault is - and you cant be replacing everything hoping to hit on it... So your next move now is to have the fault codes read by a plug in machine either at a VW dealer or other garage that has the correct equipment... and that then too, will tell you what the cause of the Epc light is / fault - and then it can be repaired as found.

Im very pleased to have helped you -Let me know if I can help anymore...

>>Please click the "Accept button" for me now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience: 34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)