Neal
Neal, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Shop owner and experienced in most brands.
17294534

2000 VW golf: vin..anti-theft..time I start..No authorized mechanics

Customer Question

My car is a 2000 VW Golf GTI. VIN: WVWDE21j7YW61210

The anti-theft alarm sounds every time I start the car. No authorized mechanics are open today, Sunday. Is there anyway to temporarily disable the alarm. FYI, the battery in my master key is dead. I've located the fuse panel and have the card that identifies the fuses, but am unable to determine which fuse, if any, might help me out.

Can you assist me?

Thanks,
Bill
Category: VW
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

I'm sorry but the alarm system is designed to be tamper resistant, if you could just pull a fuse a thief could do the same and alarm would be useless.

Is the car actually starting and running?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the car is actually starting and running.
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I assume you tried locking and unlocking the car with the key?

Have you closed the hood? There is a sensor that triggers the alarm if the hood is opened under certain conditions.

If the car is not immobilized, the alarm should not be going off, did the fob just die and all of this started at the same time?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can lock and unlock the car without the alarm going off.

I can push the button to unlock the back without the alarm going off and I can hear the back unlock, but when I pull the back up, the alarm goes off.

Similarily, I can pull the lever for the hood from inside the car without the alarm going off, but when I go to lift the hood, the alarm goes off.
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
How long has the battery in the fob been bad?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Battery in fob has been dead for five or six years. Was not replaced due to expense.
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

Ok then it seems there is going to be a problem with you alarm system like a bad module. You could disable horn by directly disconnecting it if that would work for you.

It is about an hour of work to get to it. it is #12 in this diagram

12 - Anti-theft alarm horn
- Installation position: In area of C-pillar covered by trim

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I have the time and interest to try this.
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
I hope that solves your issue, it does seem to be the best solution in your case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you have more information for me to assist in disabling the alarm?
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
You just need to remove the interior trim to access the horn and disconnect it. Since it is not immobilizing the engine you should be good to go then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please, confirm the area I'll be working. According to the diagram it (#12) is located in the rear left on the interior in the area of the CD player. Seems a bit illogical. Do I need to remove the CD player?

Please be more specific.

Thanks
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
It's under the trim panel in that back corner, intentionally hard to get to to prevent tampering. If you don't see it just trigger it to locate it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
While I was waiting for your answer, I went on line and found a site that offered step-by-step instructions w/excellent photos on how to disconnect the horn, which I did.

But they had me working underneath the hood, in behind the windshield wipers and disconnecting a wiring harness there. This seemed to solve the problem, no more alarm horn going off when I start the car.

So, I'm curious why the difference in where you were directing me to disconnect the horn.

I'm grateful for your input because it led me to the solution, but you can understand my puzzlement.

Any thoughts from your perspective?

Thanks,
Bill
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

Just another way of doing the same thing, I was just going to have you disconect it directly from the horn. As I usually repair these and not disable them I was not familiar with that method.

I have never disabled one for anyone, usually that is something an owner will do themselves.