Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Volkswagen jetta: 2002 jetta 1.8t with p0327 knock sensor 1

2002 jetta 1.8t with p0327 knock sensor 1 low input.I swapped it out for a new one as ohm reading indicated closed contact . Still getting a code after 10 miles or so. How do I check the wiring?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

Eurocar Inc :

hello there

Eurocar Inc :

did you use a precision torque wrench to torque the sensor correctly?

Customer:

hi, yes, torqued to 15 ft lbs

Eurocar Inc :

ok what scan tool are you using please

Customer:

canobd2 equus 3100 , and my friend has a different one by mac tools

Eurocar Inc :

ok on the code did it give any other info like a 5 digit # XXXXX a 3 digit # XXXXX?

Eurocar Inc :

example

Eurocar Inc :

p0327 16711 003

Customer:

I dont know , i will have to run out and plug it in . I m sorry but i was only looking for the main code. how much time do we have? I can take my lap top out to the car

Eurocar Inc :

ok do that just one other thing i will need a vin # XXXXX get the correct wiring diagram

Eurocar Inc :

i will be on for a hr so i will help others and help you too just respond and the site will notify me when you have responded

Customer:

3vwse29mx2m131509

Customer:

It just gives the p0327 generic

Eurocar Inc :

ok let me get the wiring diagram i was afraid that was the result!

Eurocar Inc :

you will need to gain access to the ecu for the motor

Eurocar Inc :

the wiper arms and the black cowl cover needs to be removed to gain access

Eurocar Inc :

you will need to disconnect the small connector of the ecu

Eurocar Inc :

and you will be dealing the #1 sensor near the timing belt

Eurocar Inc :

disconnect the plug at the sensor and pin 1 which is a grey wire and the ecu plug pin # XXXXX you will need a digital ohm meter to check if the wire is good or not

Eurocar Inc :

if that is ok then pin 2 of the sensor plug wire harness side to pin 99 of the plug on the ecu

Eurocar Inc :

ohm check that

Eurocar Inc :

let me know the results

Customer:

Ok , I dont have the car in my shop rite now and its freezing outside, but i will do what i can. It will take me a while.

Eurocar Inc :

was there any major work on the vehicle lately that the wiring harness needed to be moved?

Customer:

No, this is my sisters car, and she said that it has

Customer:

no, it is my sisters car, and she said the engine lite has been off and on for a few months before the timing belt tensioner siezed, and took out the belt and exhaust valves. I didnt know about this issue until i got the car up and running. It would have been more helpful to know when i had everthing apart. hind site! It is almost dark now so I am going to tackle this tommorow in the shop. I guess if i have a faulty wire it needs to be fixed. That doesnt sound easy, but most things aren't. Thanks for your help.

Eurocar Inc :

usually if you follow the wire at the point near the water outlet at the driver side of the head is usually the culprit because the wire is tight and then when moved the strands of the wire break and then you get this fault!!

Eurocar Inc :

hence the question of any major work done !!

Customer:

Hi, still stuggling to get the wiper blades off without breaking something. They are the only thing that hasn't come apart easily.

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

john

Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience: Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs