VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

2003 Volkswagen GTI: clutch cable..I push the clutch pedal..it stays

2003 Volkswagen GTI: I think I need to replace the clutch cable. I push the clutch pedal, it does not operate the clutch and it stays down. How can I fix it?
Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 2 years ago.

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

ok, the first thing we will need to know is if it's just a hydraulic cylinder problem, or a mechanical problem

VWDoc :

have you seen any fluid leaks? Brake fluid low?

VWDoc :

there is no clutch cable on this transmission

VWDoc :

There are two hydraulic cylinders that control clutch operation. There is the clutch master cylinder which is connected directly to your clutch pedal....

VWDoc :

which, which the pedal is pressed, applies pressure to the clutch slave cylinder, which applies pressure to the clutch pressure plate, which disengages the clutch disc

VWDoc :

which, when the pedal is pressed*

VWDoc :

I rarely see clutch master cylinders fail on these

VWDoc :

often see clutch slave cylinders fail, and on the 6-spd transmission, requires transmission removal to replace it

VWDoc :

and as long as the transmission is out, it's best to replace the pressure plate and clutch disc at the same time

VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
Expert:  VWDoc replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.