Chris VW Master Tech
Chris VW Master Tech, VW Technician
Experience:  City & Guilds 1,2,3 Vw Master Tech cars&vans, VW Licence Tech
10684209

Volkswagen saloon: My VW Passat rear doors wont open help

My VW Passat rear doors wont open help
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris VW Master Tech replied 4 years ago.

Chris VW Master Tech :

Hello and thankyou for using just answer. i take it they wont open from the inside or the outside, but the front central locking is working fine, if this is the case the 1st thing i need you to do is disconnect the car battery for around 10 mins then reconnect and then try and operate the central door locking, this will reboot the door latches and door control modules, like you would reboot a normal computer, it is common for the central door locking to get confused and shut down like this, please try this and let me know what happens , thanks Chris

Customer:

Chris , I shall try that in the morning thanks terry

Chris VW Master Tech :

no problem

Customer:

chris, tried on several accasions your surgestions still doesnt open rear doors, took to a garage

Customer:

they state new locks required , which seems excessive to say the least, any other idears

Customer:

TERRY

Customer:

Chris any idears as yet

Chris VW Master Tech :

Can you give me the 10th digit of the vin No so i can check the wiring diagrams reff this car, thanks Chris

Customer:

Chris what is a vin number and where to i find it TERRY

Customer:

Chris, the 10th diget is Y on log book vin no

Customer:

I hope ..Y.. is the number you wanted terry.

Customer:

CHRIS, ANY LUCK WITH MY ANSWER ...TERRY

Chris VW Master Tech :

Hi sorry for the delay i had to access the correct diagrams for your car, the power feeds for both the rear doors are the same feeds that feed the front doors as well, there is also a feed for the rear doors that also feeds the petrol flap release, is this working ok? il assume it is at the moment, there are also 2 seperate earths for both rear doors on either side of the car, so at the moment i would rule both of them out, when you open both drivers and passangers doors you will gain acess to both B pillars, and you will see both rear door connectors, sitting behind rubber covers, i would at this point check both of these connectors for security and if so remove them and then refit, can you confirm with me that the electric windows are working ok, if so this rules out the power and earth feeds to both doors, and if this is the case it only leaves you with the door latches themselves or the small wiring looms from the door control modules to the door latches, i have seen it before where one latch becomes defective and then the other 2weeks later, they are a common fault , but before we condem them please check the other items i have stated already, thanks Chris

Customer:

Chris, the windows work, the petrol cap works . as you stated one door ceased to work then later

Customer:

the other one. I shall check other items you stated later today,,,,terry

Customer:

Chris, now the boot will no open help terry

Customer:

and the rear doors still arnt working,

Chris VW Master Tech :

Can i ask that you lift up the carpet on the passanger side front footwell and there will be a black box, inside this box is the convinence unit, unplug this unit and please check for any water damage at this control module or corrosion in the connector or green moulde, also check the loom on the floor pan for any corrsion, they are prone to leaking water through the pollen filter housing and this will run down under carpet on passanger side , thanks Chris

Customer:

Chris , Thanks for all the info in the end I had to go to the garage they are changing the locks

Customer:

I wish to pay you I pressed accept button but still have money in account have I done this right.Terry