Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

Sensor was replaced but abs light still on

Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 2 years ago.
The light won't go off on its own, it needs to be reset using a scan tool. If you reset it already and it came back then the harness that runs from the speed sender into the body may be faulty or the abs module needs to be rebuilt from a place like modulemaster.com

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was told that scanner is unable to read codes
Expert:  Danny replied 2 years ago.
What type of scan tool? Where did you take it to get scanned? Does the car have an aftermarket radio?

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No , the mechanic tried to scan after sensor didn't work
Expert:  Danny replied 2 years ago.
What type of scan tool, what type of shop? So it has the stock radio?

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is stock radio, what type of scanner is needed
Expert:  Danny replied 2 years ago.
There's many different options for scan tools. I'm asking if the radio that's in the car came with the car or not?

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it looks to be factory to me
Expert:  Danny replied 2 years ago.
Ok, well the abs module is probably faulty and blocking communication. Why was the sensor replaced?

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they thought that was the reason the abs light was on
Expert:  Danny replied 2 years ago.
Right, I get that part but were they originally able to scan it before the repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there was no need to until they replaced axle
Expert:  Danny replied 2 years ago.
Yes there was, that's how you diagnose cars. At this point they need to try connecting to other control modules and if you can't connect, disconnect the abs module's connector and try again. If you then have communication the abs module needs to be rebuilt. Modulemaster.com will rebuild it much cheaper than a new one, these are a known bad part that have a defect whixh the manufacturer never fixed so don't buy a new or used one, have yours rebuilt.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner