Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

Vw: the engine management and epc lights..running well..brake light

We have a 54 plate vw touran fsi. Today the engine management and epc lights have come on and the car is not running well. {We had a brake light go the other day}. Is it safe to drive the car or will it cause serious damage? until I can get it to a garage.
Thank you.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

Good thing that you checked the oil and coolant....as these are the most important factors to prevent any further damage.

Billy :

The warning lights are triggered on, when a fault is detected in the engine management system. This can be anything from a faulty or loose connector, to all the sensors, components.

Billy :

Limp home mode is also triggered, that is why you are feeling the reduced engine performance.

Billy :

However, if the engine oil and coolant are ok, you should be able to drive to garage safely, without incurring any further damage.

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if follow up is needed..Click ACCEPT so i get credited for my work...positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer:

thank you for your help, I can stop panicing and will get car to the garage tomorrow.

Billy :

You're most welcome....and get back to me if further info is needed....Good luck!