VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

1999 VW Passat: trouble code..what is a throttle body adaptation, if I

I have a 1999 VW Passat with a trouble code 1545. I read that this could mean that the throttle body is bad. Is that true and what is a throttle body adaptation, if I have to replace it?

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

before this started happening, was there a power interruption, low battery?

VWDoc :

Yes, the code does indicate a malfunction within the throttle body, but there are definitely some steps that need to be taken first

VWDoc :

First thing. Remove throttle body and completely clean the blade and the bore with dedicated throttle body cleaner. Don't use brake cleaner...

VWDoc :

Second - reinstall throttle body

VWDoc :

third - turn key to on position without touching accelerator pedal, and leave it for a minute

VWDoc :

then try to start the car

VWDoc :

if it still acts up, then a vw-specific scan tool will be needed to perform the throttle body basic settings. It's a quick operation, but a generic obdII scan tool will not do this

Customer:

Yes there was a power interruption. I had to replace the battery.

VWDoc :

yep, knocked out the throttle settings

VWDoc :

if that doesn't work, you can also try this procedure: http://www.goapr.com/support/ecu_a4_passat_early.pdf

Customer:

Is there any tool that can reset this, or do I absolutely have to go the dealer? I do have vag com that I have used on my 2005 TDI.

VWDoc :

wait...you have vag com?

VWDoc :

fully registered

VWDoc :

?

Customer:

VWDoc :

I missed that last

Customer:

Sorry it seems I'm having some inernet problems, if for some reason I don't respond right away you'll know why. Anyway yes I have a fully registered vag com. I haven't used it in a while and it probably needs updates but yes.

VWDoc :

oh perfect...you can do this. here are the steps

VWDoc :

connect, access engine (address 01), select basic settings (04), input 098, and click go

VWDoc :

allow the routine to run, and field 4 should show adp-ok

VWDoc :

if not, the clean throttle as I instructed and try again

VWDoc :

that should take care of it

VWDoc :

also, if for some reason 098 doesn't work, try 060, but I believe 098 is the channel for drive-by-cable throttle on the AEB engine

Customer:

Beautiful. Can I also fix other problems with a reset? I also have a persistent problem with the oil pressure. I have replaced the pump and the sensor with no luck, the warning still buzzes after hitting about 2000rpm. I know this has been a problem with this engine but have not been able to find anything to fix it?

VWDoc :

have you tested true oil pressure using a mechanical pressure gauge?

VWDoc :

and that circuit is not one that is computer monitored, so vag-com can't help if it's electrical

Customer:

I have hooked up an oil pres. gauge to where the sensor is. I don't remember the exact numbers right now but I believe it was within the parameters the manual calls for.

VWDoc :

then doing wiring tracing is something sort of beyond what we can do here through the computer screen....

VWDoc :

best bet is to have a set of Bentley Publishing wiring diagrams handy and start tracing

Customer:

I was afraid of that. I had a VW tech at a dealer check for me and he didn't know what to make of it. luckily it didn't cost anything, he tries to help me when he can.

Customer:

You think it is electrical though, not something that is a more common problem with this motor?

VWDoc :

yes, on electrical

Customer:

Ok , I appreciate your help and I'm going to get you paid today. I will reset it with the code you gave me but it will take a few days. My computer person (wife) lol, has to help with that part of it. Thanks I'll get back to you.