Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

How do I replace a battery on a 2006 Vw Beetle?

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

this may help you

tim's auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP.......merry christmas

tim's auto repair :

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle (1C1) L5-2.5L
Battery Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Battery A

Battery A

CAUTION!
Risk of injury. Observe warning notes and safety precautions. Refer to => [ Warnings and Safety Precautions ] See: Battery > Components > Battery A!

Never disconnect or reconnect battery positive terminal when negative terminal is connected. Danger of short circuit!

=> [ 4-Cylinder Engine, Gasoline and Diesel ]

=> [ 5-Cylinder 2.5L Fuel Injection Engine ]

4-Cylinder Engine, Gasoline and Diesel

Special tools, testers and auxiliary items required

◊Torque Wrench (VAG 1331)

46_vw0509jettaA-W00-0427.jpg
Full Size Image

CAUTION!
If the Battery (A) is not secured properly, the following risks are possible:

Shortened battery service life due to vibration damage (explosion hazard).

If the battery (A) is not secured properly, the plates inside the battery can get damaged.

Damage to battery casing caused by bracket (possible electrolyte leakage, high subsequent costs).

Reduced collision safety.

◊Get the radio anti-theft code before disconnecting the Battery (A)

◊After connecting the Battery (A), check any affected system or component (radio, clock, comfort electrical connection etc.) according to the repair information and/or the operating instructions.

CAUTION!
Turn off the ignition and all electrical components.

Remove the ignition key.

Removing

- Open and disengage cover with fuse panel at battery housing.

- Where applicable, open battery insulation.

- First disconnect negative ( - ) terminal - arrow - from battery.

24_vw0610nbA-N02-0292.jpg
Full Size Image

- Then disconnect the positive ( B+ ) terminal from the battery.

- Remove screws - arrows - and set aside power steering reservoir - 1 -.

08_vw0610nbA-M27-0001.jpg
Full Size Image

- Remove the battery housing - 2 - upward.

- Remove the battery heat insulation, if equipped.

- Remove bolt - arrow -.

06_vw0610nbA-N27-0161.jpg
Full Size Image

- Remove the bracket.

- Remove the Battery (A).

Installing

Installing Battery (A) with 10.5 mm battery clamping strips and following the work procedure will assure the Battery (A) is secured.

- Install the Battery (A) so that the tab on the battery tray - arrow - fits into the opening in the battery clamping strip - 1 -.

84_vw0610nbA-N27-0111.jpg
Full Size Image

It must not be possible to slide the Battery (A ) to the right or to the left.

The Battery (A) is installed correctly when the opening in the center of the battery clamping strip and the threaded hole in the battery tray align - arrows -.

81_vw0610nbA-N27-0110.jpg
Full Size Image

If the Battery (A) has a hose for central venting system, make sure the hose does not get clamped off. Only then can Battery (A) be properly vented.

If the Battery (A) does not have a hose for the central venting system, then make sure the opening on the top side of the cover is not plugged.

- Install the bracket and tighten it to 22 Nm.

06_vw0610nbA-N27-0161.jpg
Full Size Image

- Install the battery jacket.

- Install the battery housing - 2 -.

08_vw0610nbA-M27-0001.jpg
Full Size Image

- Mount the power steering fluid reservoir - 1 - and tighten the screw. Tightening specification: 10 Nm.

◊In order to prevent damage to battery housing, battery terminals must be placed on battery posts without using force (by hand only).

◊Battery posts are no longer to be greased.

- Attach the positive cable to the positive terminal on the Battery (A).

- Tighten the screw on the positive terminal to 6 Nm.

- Mount the bracket on the Battery (A). When doing this attach the current cable plate to the bolt on the battery positive terminal.

- Attach the bracket to the Battery (A).

- Connect the negative cable to the negative terminal on the Battery (A) only after the positive terminal is fastened to the bracket.

- Tighten the screw - arrow - to 6 Nm.

24_vw0610nbA-N02-0292.jpg
Full Size Image

- Install the other attachments, such as the terminal covers, the vent hose, etc.

- Check the Battery (A) for proper seating after installing.

5-Cylinder 2.5L Fuel Injection Engine

◊Spring-Type Clip Pliers (VAS 5024A)

98_vw0509jettaA-W00-1179.jpg
Full Size Image

◊Torque Wrench (VAG 1331)

46_vw0509jettaA-W00-0427.jpg
Full Size Image

CAUTION!

If the Battery (A) is not secured properly, the plates inside the battery can get damaged.

Reduced collision safety.

◊The hose connections open when the locking rings are pressed.

CAUTION!

Remove the ignition key.

Removing

- Loosen the hose connections - 2 -, - 4 - and - 5 -.

83_vw0610nbA-M27-0146.jpg
Full Size Image

- Remove the intake hose - 1 -.

- Remove the clip - 3 - from the mount on the battery housing.

- Push the strap - 1 - downward and slide the fuse carrier out of its mount and move it to the side.

04_vw0610nbA-M27-0147.jpg
Full Size Image

- Disconnect the Battery (A).

- Disengage the battery case front section - 3 - and remove it.

- Remove screw - arrow - on the battery tray.

96_vw0610nbA-M27-0148.jpg
Full Size Image

- Remove the battery tray.

- Remove the Battery (A).

Installing

◊Make sure the hose connections are secure.

Install in reverse order of removal, noting the following:

- Connect the Battery (A).

Tighten. Tightening specification: 22 Nm.

Nut to battery pole. Tightening specification: 6 Nm.

tim's auto repair :

tim's auto repair :

thanks for using justanswer

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.