Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

98 VW jetta: the heater core..passenger side..hose..leaks

Im trying to remove the heater core from a 98 VW jetta. My son says its leaking water on the passenger side floor board. I unplugged the drain hose, but he said he did that too, but it still leaks. How do I remove the housing to check the core?
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

this is not an easy one to do. you have to discharge the ac, then remove the entire instrument panel(dash) in order to replace the heater core. unfortunately there are no short cuts.

here are directions:

1. Drain the engine coolant.
  2. Remove the instrument panel.
  3. Detach the support bracket.
  4. From the engine compartment, label and remove all hoses and necessary wiring.
  5. Remove and plug all A/C lines.
  6. Remove the heater box which contains the evaporator.
  7. Unclip the heater core box.
  8. Remove the heater core.
  9. Installation is the reverse of removal. Always make sure all seals are installed properly during the installation process.
  10. Seal all seams of the heater box with RTV.
  11. Have a MVAC certified tech evacuate and recharge the A/C system.
Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of knee bar

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the instrument pannel pad

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the gear shift knob and boot and remove the center console.
  3. Remove the steering wheel.
  4. Remove the knee bar from below the dashboard.
  5. Remove the steering column support bracket and lower the column.
  6. Pull the knobs off the heater controls and remove the control assembly and the radio.
  7. Remove the headlight switch and switch blanks to gain access to the screws. Remove the instrument cluster and trim panel around the cluster.
  8. Remove the glove compartment.
  9. At the firewall, remove the plastic tray and remove the 2 nuts holding the top of the dashboard.
  10. .Remove the main fuse panel and disconnect the plugs at the back. Disconnect the ground wires.
  11. Disconnect any remaining wiring from the dashboard and remove the 4 last screws; 1 at each end and 1 at each end of the instrument cluster area. Remove the dashboard.

To install:

1. Fit the dashboard into place and start all 4 screws, then tighten them.
  2. Install the fuse panel and connect the wiring.
  3. Secure the steering column into place.
  4. Install the switches and instrument cluster.
  5. Install the heater controls and radio.
  6. Install the console and connect all wiring.
  7. Connect the battery to test the electrical system.
  8. Install the steering wheel, knee bar and all remaining components.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here are directions:

1. Drain the engine coolant.
  2. Remove the instrument panel.
  3. Detach the support bracket.
  5. Remove and plug all A/C lines.
  7. Unclip the heater core box.
  8. Remove the heater core.

Fig. Exploded view of knee bar

3. Remove the steering wheel.
  8. Remove the glove compartment.

To install:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The housing around the blower/heater core is what I'm trying to take off so I can check the core. I've taken off all the screws and clips that I can see, but it still won't come apart. What am I doing wrong?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

there are screws and clips on the backside of the housing, next to the firewall. The ONLY way to access these screws and clips is by removing the dash, and then unbolting the hvac housing from the firewall and pulling it out. again, short of breaking the box, this is the ONLY way to access the heater core to inspect it.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician