Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

How to reset anti theft on a 1997 vw jetta

Customer Question

how to reset anti theft on a 1997 vw jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
There's no reset, unhooking the battery causes it to automatically go off so you can't disconnect the battery to break into the car.

The problem is that the wires that go from the door to the body break and then when you unlock the car it doesn't tell the alarm module that you've unlocked it.

You need to fix the broken wires and then go from there.

For now, try using the key in the passenger door or the trunk to disarm it. If that doesn't work you just have to fix the system or bypass it. If you need to bypass it, I'll explain it to you, let me know, but it's basically easier to just fix the system usually.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the alarm went off from trying to put in a differrent radio
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Right, you triggered the alarm from disconnecting the radio and now at this point the wires in the door are broken so you can't disarm it. All this time you probably haven't been arming the alarm because of the broken wires. The repair is the same as I already outline regardless. You have to fix the wires so you can notify the alarm module that you've inserted the key into the door and unlocked the car.

Danny
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the accept and the bonus. For your information if you decide to just bypass the system, behind the headlight switch is where the module is, it's the one with 2 connectors (the other is the cruise control). Cut the two large red and white wires and butt connect them together and leave both connectors unplugged and the alarm is bypassed.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i fixed the wire that i found in the door you can now here the anti lock lock and unlock the anti theft lock light on the radio still blinks on and of is that normal and would this issue with the anti theft have anything to do with the engine it is not fireing i pulled off the destibitor wire and put a srewdriver in it to ck if it was fireing it is not
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
No that wouldn't cause this problem. Get an led test light and probe the center of the 3 wires at the distributor. If the light flashes then hook the test light to positive and negative at the coil and see if it flashes there. If it does then the coil is bad.

If the distributor sensor isn't putting out a signal check to see the outer two wires are getting power and ground. And no it's not normal for the radio light to keep blinking unless tmaybe the radio is bad.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i put on a new coil still wont fire i pulled the plug and cheked it is geting gas but wont fire any sugestion
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
You need to run the tests I told you to run. That's how to diagnose the car. It's PROBABLY the sensor in the distributor which is why I told you to actually diagnose it, the test is very easy and a test light is $20 and then we can figure out what's wrong. Probably might want to buy a voltmeter too.

Danny