Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2000 vw beetle: drivers side heated seat..passenger side works fine

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2000 vw beetle and the driver's side heated seat isn't working but the passenger side works fine. What could be the problem?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
It's most likely the seat heater element itself, a common issue on these. If you have a voltmeter I can walk you through how to test the circuit but you'll have to pull the heater switch from the dash to do it. You can also try swapping the switch from the passenger to the driver side to rule out the switch. Anyway, there's a temp sensor in the heater element and it fails, that overheats the heater element in the seat and causes it to fail.