vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

REPLACE A REAR WINDOW REGULATOR CABLE IN 2005 VW BEETLE

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 years ago.

hello there!!

is this a convertible? if so

if the cable is broken then you will need the whole regulator/window assy!!

this is an updated part !!!

anything else?

Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

You do not need a new assembly they sell a window repair kit it is much cheaper then the assembly they are about $90 compared to spending $550 on a whole assembly . This repair is not easy you will need to remove the rear backrest seat and seat bottom and then you will need to remove the side panel and sub woofer on that side, remove the seal and the alignment plate for the regulator there are a lot of adjustments for this window and not easy at all to do this kit ,I recommend a certified tech do the work . I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to click accept for my time and knowledge thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not acceptable. We are replacing the cable with the old regulator and are having problems getting tension on cable. new cable assembly is exact as old one.

What part are you having trouble with because the cable is really tight you need to make sure you guide it into the top roller last , you need to make sure you have the motor bolted on and then have a second person hold the tension on the cables to free up some slack this is difficult to do because it is so tight but this is the only way unless you want to spend $550 for a assembled new regulator . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been able to put cable on but is extremely tight! If it is supposed to be that tight then we have it. Second person to pull on cable for slack is just to get cable around all pulleys and tighten springs, right? When tight there is no slack in either springs.
Yes this is correct you got it make sure the tracks are lubed with white lithium grease to reduce any pulley noise. I hope all this has helped.

vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified