David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

2008 Jetta: the lug nuts off....no tool inside car

Where can I find a lug nut tool for my used 2008 Jetta, my mechanic is ready to put new breaks on and can't get the lug nuts off....no tool inside car. Located on westside of Cleveland, OH.
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
If the tool is not in the tool bag, small pocket on the top of the bag, then the only place to get one is the dealer. You will need to take the car there so they can see what number it is. There are 10 or 12 different keys depending on which style your car came with. Before you get too deep looking for a wheel key, check your tool bag very carefully. On the flap is a small pocket that the key is secured in. Missed by many.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess there's no tool bag.....that's the problem.
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
At the dealer we have master sets, which carry all of the keys. They can remove the locks for you or sell you a key. There is no way around this, as there are no numbers on the lock. The only way to know which key to get is to try one by one on the master set. The keys have a number on it that the parts department can sell you. They are not available aftermarket, only at the dealer. Sorry for the bad news.