Neal
Neal, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Shop owner and experienced in most brands.
17294534

Low beam headlights not working,

low beam headlights not working,
Category: VW
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

How did you check the bulbs?

There are seperatre bulbs for high and low beams.

Have you ever replaced the bulbs?

Did you replace them with High intensity bulbs?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We took the bulbs out and tested them and they lit up. My daughter just bought the car and drove it over to let us see the car. When it was dark, she had no headlights. We pulled it into the garage to check it out, high beams work, we pulled out the low beam lights and they worked (he attached it to some tester and they lit up).
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a meter to test for power at the connector?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No we did not test the power there, we just tested the bulbs. We called the auto parts store and they are the ones who told us it was the headlight switch so that was when we replaced this switch.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
There have been some issues with the headlight harnesses on those. If they have been damaged or repaired they are highly prone to failure.

Has it ever been in an accident in the front?

There is a TSB from VW that warns about not trying to repair that harness as it will fail but to save money, a body shop will just make the repair and let it go.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I kept waiting for the website to respond. I have no idea about an accident or not. My daughter just purchased it from someone and had no idea the low beam headlights were not working. As far as we can tell it does not look like it had been in an accident. Is there a way for me to tell?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Both low beam headlights are out. He did see the headlight harness and he said they looked brand new. So we are not sure if this is the right way to go with this?? Not sure.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I would start by checking for power at the connectors and working back from there. I would not replace the headlight harness without being sure it is the problem. If you are not sure about traking electrical issue a auto electric shop is your best bet over a regular shop as they are very good at auto electric places at tracing these kinds of issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would that be the relay? I ready something about a relay 173? Just curious. She is taking it in today, but I was trying to help her out as much as possible.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

You could try replacing the daytime running light relays. It is worth a shot.

Here are the locations in the panel.

The relay panel and 13-position auxiliary relay panel are located in the driver side footwell, behind the lower instrument panel trim.

Relay location on the thirteen position auxiliary relay panel, above relay panel:
1 - Alarm System Light Flasher Relay (404)
2 - Alarm System Light Flasher Relay (200)
3 - Back-up Light Relay (53)
3 - Lock Relay for Starter (Theft Warning System) (185)
4 - Lock Relay for Starter (Clutch pedal Switch) (53)
7 - Daytime Running Lights Change-over Relay (173)
8 - Daytime Running Lights Change-over Relay (173)
8 - Heated Exterior Mirror Relay (53)
9 - Alarm Horn Relay (53)
10 - Glow Plug Relay (180)
10 - Third Speed Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (100)*
11 - Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Relay (126) (175)
12 - Power Supply (Terminal 30, B+) Relay (109)

* Only applies to 1.8L turbo engines

Relay panel:
1 - Dual Horn Relay (53)
2 - Load Reduction Relay (18) (100) (213)
4 - Fuel Pump (FP) Relay (409)
V - Wiper/Washer Intermittent Relay (192) (377) (389)
VI - Wiper/Washer Intermittent Relay (192) (377) (389)

NOTE Number in parentheses ( ) indicates production control number stamped on relay housing.
graphic

Neal, VW Mechanic
Experience: Shop owner and experienced in most brands.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is worth a try! thanks!