Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2000 Passat: belt..the power steering pump to the water pump

I'd like to replace the water pump belt on a 2000 Passat 1.8L. The belt runs from the power steering pump to the water pump. The power steering pump is driven by the serpentine belt. There is no adjustment on the power steering. The water pump pulley is a two piece unit. How much of the engine am I going to have to pull apart to get in there? It's tight and I can't get wrenches or sockets on the water pump pulleys bolts.
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :
tim's auto repair :

VW Passat & Audi A4 1990-2000

Belts

Inspection

NOTE

To access the front of the engine on the Audi A4 and 1998 and later Passat models, the lock carrier for the hood latch must be placed in the service position.

As drive belts wear, they tend to stretch, or lengthen. As a belt stretches over time, the tension decreases, which causes the belt to slip on the pulleys. This slippage not only causes operating problems (erratic steering, high engine temperatures, and charging system problems), but also can greatly accelerate wear and damage to the belts themselves. Excessive slippage can cause a drive belt to glaze, overheat, and eventually break. Regular Inspection and adjustment of the accessory drive belts will prolong their life, and ensure proper operation of belt-driven components.

To thoroughly inspect accessory drive belts, it's advisable to remove the lower engine cover, and view the condition of the belts through the right front wheel housing. If necessary, raise and safely support the vehicle to allow access. Viewing the belts from the engine compartment is sometimes possible, but belt-driven components such as the power steering pump and air conditioner compressor are often out of view from the engine compartment.

Inspect the belts for signs of glazing or cracking. A glazed belt will be perfectly smooth from slippage, while a good belt will have a slight texture of fabric visible. Cracks will usually start at the inner edge of the belt and run outward. All worn or damaged drive belts should be replaced immediately. It is always best to replace all drive belts at one time, as a preventive maintenance measure, during this service operation.

Fig. Early tensioners such as the gear type are shown here

Fig. Simply turn the gear type with a wrench to adjust

Fig. Once the belt is loosened, slide it off the pulleys to remove it

Fig. ALWAYS mark the direction of rotation of a belt BEFORE removal

Checking tension and adjustment

Fig. Adjust tension by loosening both the pivot bolt and the upper adjustment bolt

NOTE

To check belt tension on V-belts, push in on the drive belt about midway between the crankshaft pulley and the driven component. If the belt is less than 39.4 in. (1m) long, it should deflect between 1 / 16 - 1 / 8 inch (2-5mm). For longer belts, it should deflect between 3 / 8 0.40- 5 / 8 inch (10-15mm). Belt size is usually printed on the back side of the belt. If it can't be read, it's probably time to replace it.

To compensate for the stretching of the accessory drive belts, a means of adjustment is necessary. This can be accomplished by changing the distance between the crankshaft pulley and the driven component, or by means of a tensioning device using an idler roller. The models covered in this guide employ several methods to accomplish this task.

The current trend for most manufacturers is the use of a serpentine type drive belt that is kept in adjustment using an automatic belt tensioner. These automatic tensioners can be either a pivoting arm-type or an eccentric type.

The rotary method (most common with V-belts) involves the driven component being rotated on a pivot. A slotted bracket and or arm(s) is/are used to hold the component in place once the belt tension is set. Within this method, there are four variations. The most basic variation is a simple slotted bracket with a bolt. This requires pulling or pushing on the driven component to achieve the desired belt tension. Some early models use a spring-loaded alternator bracket that sets the belt tension after the slotted bolt is loosened.

Other models use a rack and pinion design on the slotted adjustment bracket. This allows for effortless belt adjustment, since the pinion gear has a hex head and can be turned with a wrench to make adjustments. The final variation of the slotted style adjustment design uses a long adjuster bolt that pushes or pulls the driven component once the slotted bolt is loosened.

Poly-Ribbed Belts

The engines equipped with poly-ribbed belts are equipped with automatic adjusters, and Do NOT require adjustment. The spring action of the tensioner compensates for the stretching of the belt. The belts should be checked for belt stretch, wear or fluid damage and replaced if necessary. Check the maintenance recommendation chart for recommended routine replacement intervals.

V-Belts
Plain Slotted Brackets

tim's auto repair :

: Alternator mounting with slotted brackets

image
Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

As a safety precaution, disconnect the negative battery cable.

• Loosen the adjustment nut/bolt in the slotted bracket. Slightly loosen the pivot bolt.

• Pull (don't pry) the component outward to increase tension. Push inward to reduce tension. Tighten the adjusting nut/bolt and the pivot bolt.

• Recheck the drive belt tension, readjust if necessary.

• Reconnect the negative battery cable.

• Slotted Brackets With adjustment Bolt

tim's auto repair :

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Full Size Image

Fig. Some components, like this air conditioner compressor, use a slotted bracket with an adjustment bolt. To adjust the tension, loosen the slotted bracket bolt . . .

Fig. . . . and turn the adjustment bolt as necessary to achieve the proper belt tension

1. As a safety precaution, disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Loosen the slotted bracket bolt(s), and slightly loosen the pivot bolt(s).

3. If equipped, loosen the locknut(s) on the adjustment bolt(s).

4. Turn the threaded adjustment bolt(s) as necessary to achieve the correct tension.

5. Tighten the pivot bolt(s) and the slotted bracket bolt(s) securely.

6. While holding adjustment bolt(s) in position, tighten the lock nut(s) if equipped.

7. Recheck the drive belt tension and readjust if necessary.

8. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

Rack And Pinion-type Slotted brackets

Fig. Loosen the tension bolt (shown) and the alternator pivot bolt until the alternator swings freely under its own weight

Fig. Adjust the V-belt by turning the nut on the tension bolt

2. Loosen the alternator pivot bolt, and the slotted bracket bolt, and the bracket mounting bolt.

3. Adjust the V-belt by turning the large nut (the pinion) nut while checking the belt deflection.

4. While holding the pinion nut steady, tighten the slotted bracket bolt to hold the adjustment setting.

5. Tighten the alternator pivot bolt, and the slotted bracket mounting bolt.

6. Recheck the drive belt tension and readjust if necessary.

7. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

NOTE

If a belt must be replaced, the driven component must be loosened and moved to its extreme loosest position (usually by moving it toward the center of the motor). On models with automatic belt adjusters, the tensioner is moved to release tension on the belt, and then the belt is removed.

1. After removing the old belt, check the pulleys for dirt or built-up material which could affect belt contact.

2. Carefully install the new belt, it may appear to be just a little too small to fit over the pulley flanges. Fit the belt over the largest pulley (usually the crankshaft pulley at the bottom center of the motor) first, then work on the smaller one(s). Gentle pressure in the direction of rotation is helpful.

NOTE

Some belts run around a third or idler pulley, which acts as an additional pivot in the belt's path. It may be possible to loosen the idler pulley as well as the main component, making your job much easier. Depending on which belt(s) you are changing, it may be necessary to loosen or remove other interfering belts to get at the one(s) you want.

The 1.8L engines use three dive belts, two multi-ribbed, and a V-belt. The alternator, cooling fan and power steering pump are driven by a serpentine belt that is tensioned by a conventional automatic tensioner. The water pump is drive by second pulley mounted to the power steering pump. A separate multi-ribbed belt drives the air conditioner. It uses a tensioning roller that must be preloaded and tightened in place to tension.

1. To remove and install the belts on the 1.8L engine, proceed as follows:

2. On 1.8L engines the water pump pulley is a split sheave type pulley. To remove the water pump drive belt:

1. First remove the multi-ribbed drive belt.

2. Use an open-end wrench to loosen the tensioner. Move the tensioner until the tensioner and housing holes align, then place a suitable hex tool or drift into the aligned holes to keep the tensioner retracted.

3. Remove the belt.

4. Counterhold the viscous fan pulley using a suitable drift.

5. Remove the pulley fastener using an 8 mm hex wrench, and then remove the fan along with the fan pulley.

6. The water pump drive belt is removed by removing the fasteners for the pump's pulley. Counter hold the power steering pump pulley to allow for removal of the water pump pulley by placing a suitable dowel through the upper back side of the power steering pump pulley.

7. During assembly, rotate the power steering pump occasionally to properly seat the belt. There is no adjustment shims available, therefore if the belt is in need of replacement, an exact original fit must be used. If the belt is too loose it will slip, and if too tight it will damage the bearings of the power steering pump and water pump, causing a premature failure.

8. The rest of the reassembly procedure is in reverse order of removal.

3. To remove the air conditioner belt:

1. Loosen the two fasteners for the tensioner assembly

2. Move the tensioner to slacken the belt.

3. Remove the belt.

4. Reassemble in reverse order of removal. Tension the belt by applying an 18 ft. lb. (25 Nm) load on the tensioner assembly and tightening the fasteners.

When buying replacement belts, remember that the fit is critical according to the length of the belt, the width of the belt, the depth of the belt and the angle or profile of the V shape (always match up old belt with new belt if possible). The belt shape should exactly match the shape of the pulley; belts that are not an exact match can cause noise, slippage and premature failure.

After the new belt is installed, adjust it for proper tension. This is sometimes a three or four-handed job; you may find an assistant helpful. Make sure that all the bolts you loosened are retightened and that any other loosened belts have the correct tension. A new belt can be expected to stretch a bit after installation so be prepared to re-adjust your new belt.

NOTE

After installing a new belt, run the engine for about 5 minutes and then recheck the belt tension.

tim's auto repair :

FIG : When removing ribbed belts, it's a good idea to mark the rotation direction of the belt if it is to be reused

image
    Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Full Size Image

Fig. Ribbed style serpentine belt

tim's auto repair :

FIG : On 1.8L engines, use an open-end wrench to move the automatic tensioner. Align the tensioner and housing holes. Lock it in place using a suitable drift

image
    Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

FIG : The tensioner assembly on the 1.8L engine shown retracted using a suitable hex tool

image
    Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

FIG : On 1.8L engines, remove the fan pulley by counter holding it with a suitable drift, and loosen the fastener with an 8 mm hex wrench

image
    Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

FIG : On 1.8L engines, loosen the air conditioner tensioner fasteners to allow for belt removal

tim's auto repair :

FIG : To tension the air conditioner belt on 1.8L engines, apply an 18 ft. lb. (25 Nm) load on the tensioner, and then tighten the fasteners

image
    Full Size Image

Customer :

Hi. My wife is waiting for me to head out for dinner. I'll read this in detail when I get home. Thanks for your response!

tim's auto repair :

FIG : On V6 engines, pivot the tensioner clockwise until the two holes are aligned and insert a suitable drift to keep it retracted

image
    Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

that will be fine

tim's auto repair :

Key List for 93221g16:

Belt tensioner

Tensioning lever

Tensioning element

tim's auto repair :

FIG : Belt routing for the 1.8L engines

image
    Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

Fig. Belt routing for the V6 engine

Fig. Belt routing for the VR6 engine

Fig. Belt routing for the 1995-96 Passat 2.0L ABA engine

Fig. The 1.8L A/C belt is accessed from under the vehicle

Fig. The belt tensioner on the 1.8L engine is held retracted using a suitable drift of hex key wrench

tim's auto repair :
    Customer :

The information you gave me helped. I put the new belt on but it seems too loose. I tightened the pulley and there is still more than 1/2" deflection. The belt looks exactly like the old one (which broke). This is one of those belts where there is no adjustment and you have to take the two halves of the pulley apart to install it. Should I buy another belt from somewhere else and see if it's tighter?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

well

the belt you got may have been longer..yes,you may want to try another one....if you still have your old belt,,take it with you,they can measure it

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
    Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.