Hipo64
Hipo64, ASE Certified T
Experience:  17 years of hands on experiance.
41577536

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 how to add transmission fluid for a 2008

Customer Question

how to add transmission fluid for a 2008 jetta with a 2.5 automatic engine
Category: VW
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 years ago.

Hipo64 :

Hi and Welcome to just answer!

Hipo64 :

I am Pavlin and will be assisting you with your question

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

hey im yuriy

Hipo64 :

I can send you coplete procedure if you would like, or I can explain with my own words.

Hipo64 :

to do it properly, you will need scan tool connected to vehicle diagnostics.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

which one is easier cause i bought the oil for the transmission today from the dealer then the dealer told me i have to use a special tool to poor the oiul in and have to take it to them is this true

Hipo64 :

Yes and NO, Transmission temperature has to be 30C degrees at time of checking

Hipo64 :

this will asure proper level.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so which step could i do at my house and which do i have to ake to them

Hipo64 :

first you will check if fluid id needed or not.

Hipo64 :

let say now is summer time and daytime temperature is around 25C

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

i just replaced the tranmission my self cause i wrecked the old transmission and the junkyard i bought it from told me they completely drained it before they sold it to me

Hipo64 :

OK

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so what would i do first to pour the oil in

Hipo64 :

oil is fitted from the bottom of of transmission oil pan

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so would i put a tube in the bottom where there is a bolt in the oil pan and how would i telll if the transmision is full

Hipo64 :

there is tool. small pipe with treads, which will be treaded to the plase of oil drain plug and then using pump, or manual pump

Hipo64 :

first you will fill about 4 litters untill start dripping

Hipo64 :

then you will start the engine and continue filling untill it drips again

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

where exactly were it start dripping from and whrere can i get this tool from

Hipo64 :

it will drip from same plase where you are adding the oil

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

but when i take this tube off wont the loi pour out of this hole

Hipo64 :

just give me a minute I will prepare info for you with pictures

Hipo64 :

not if engine is running

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so if the engine is running it wont pour out where could i buy this tool from

Hipo64 :

when starts to drip with running engine then it is full. you will have to close it while engine is idling,

Hipo64 :

just a minute, I will send you info and will check where you can buy,

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

do i only need this adapter piece or the pump also, or could i just hang the oil up and let gravity pull the oil in

Hipo64 :

adaptor you need

Hipo64 :

pump you do not cause you do not do this everyday

Hipo64 :

you can use one of those hand oil fill pumps,will try to send you picture

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

finnaly i read the info you sent i said pull the atf out and see if it is dripping does this mean pull the adapter or what exactly does that mean

Hipo64 :

I will send you the amount of oil transmission needs

Hipo64 :

but yes you will pull it out and if does not drip, then you add more

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

the dealership told me i need 5 litters of oil thats what i bought

Hipo64 :

when transmission is empty, new fill is 7 litters

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so i should buy 2 more and a new seal to close i off when im done filling it correct

Hipo64 :

yes, there may be a little left in the tranny you have, but you better have it then not.

Hipo64 :

you can also use a tool like this.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

ill make sure i drain every last bit and then fill in 7 litters into the tranny is there anything else important i should now about doing this

Hipo64 :

Just to have the vehicle in flat leveled surface

Hipo64 :

You have all you need as of information

Hipo64 :

please do not forget to click on the accept button, as I am not credited for helping you today if you do not click on it.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

finnaly if i pour to much into the tranny and it pours out when i remove the atf do i let it pour out until it starts dripping a little only or how do i do that

Hipo64 :

you add in small portions. but first you add oil without engine running

Hipo64 :

you will add about 3-4 litters

Hipo64 :

this will help transmission not to be dry when you start it

Hipo64 :

then you will continnue adding lets say 0.5 litters at the time.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

then i will add in small portions and check for dripping for the adapter piece correct

Hipo64 :

yes, you just pull off filling hose from addaptor, if drips you are done, if not add more

Hipo64 :

no need to remove addaptor, only hose or plastic tube that will be used to go over it

Hipo64 :

look at picture with fluid level again and you will understand it

Hipo64 :

if level is more it will overflow

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

sorry lastly willl i us that hump you put a picture of up to pour in the oil correct

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

i mean pump not hump

Hipo64 :

it is handy and not expencive , it will do the work

Hipo64 :

you can buy in any local auto supply store

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

but i will have to pour the oil in in small portions with this pump correct

Hipo64 :

this pump only takes 1/2 litter

Hipo64 :

so it is perfect

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.