snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T Where do check and fill the automatic

Where do check and fill the automatic transmission fluid on 2004 jetta 1.8T
Category: VW
Expert:  Euro Specialist replied 3 years ago.

HighwayRepair :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

HighwayRepair :

Unfortunately VW designed your transmission so that fluid level cannot be easily tampered with or checked. Checking and correcting transmission fluid level on your vehicle requires BOTH an expensive handheld diagnostic computer AND an expensive transmission fluid adding machine.

HighwayRepair :

you need to be able to monitor transmission fluid temperature with the computer and pump transmission fluid into the vehicle with the adding machine, there is no dip stick, and no drain/fill plugs like on older model transmissions.

Customer:

There is a drain plug because i drained it. Just can not fill it i guess. What do i do now it is all apart in my driveway?

HighwayRepair :

well the drain plug is how you end up monitoring the fluid level, basically on the inside of the pan where the drian plug is, there is a hollow tube that rises up into the oil pan

HighwayRepair :

imagine if you add only a little fluid, the fluid is below the level of that tube, and stay in the pan

HighwayRepair :

if you add more fluid, eventually the fluid level will be able the level of that tube and come out of the tube

HighwayRepair :

that is how the fluid level is corected

HighwayRepair :

you monitor transmission fluid temperature and add fluid until it comes out the tube

HighwayRepair :

by removing the drain plug you didn't "empty" the transmission, but it is probably low on fluid now

HighwayRepair :

the fluid expands as the temperature rises, so, since fluid came out, that means you removed the drain pluyg with the transmission fluid above 30 degrees

HighwayRepair :

to get this 100% you will probably need to take it to a repair shop, but in the meantime, you can get it "close"

HighwayRepair :

you will want to let the transmission cool off

HighwayRepair :

go to the auto parts store and get a small fluid hand pump that can be placed on the top of the transmission fluid bottle, after the transmission has cooled down

HighwayRepair :

insert the hose from the pump into the hole where the drain plug was, as far up as the hose will go

HighwayRepair :

and pump fluid up into the bottom of the transmission, until it starts to overflow back out

HighwayRepair :

once it does, turn the vehicle on, keep the vehicle level and do this again, then reinstall the drain plug cap and have the fluid level correctly properly by a repair shop

HighwayRepair :

the vehicle has to be level to correct fluid level, so if you jack up one side to get underneath it, you will have to jack up the other to keep it level

Customer:

The plug i drained the fluid out of was not on or in the the pan. it is a plug (22mm hex head) tapped right into the bottom of transmission case. i have not removed the pan yet to reveal the filter which is on the front of the transmissoin. at least 3 Liters came out. Maybe more. the trans was stone cold the car has not been driven for days. it has been quite hot here lately.

HighwayRepair :

can you confirm you have a 2004 AND an auto transmission please?

Customer:

The front facing pan is almost impossible to get to had to renove the battery and air box. It is a 2004 1.8T 5 speed Tiptronic Trans

HighwayRepair :

I'm going to have to re-open this question up to other experts. According to my information your vehicle should have the style transmission I listed above, I do not have the two special tools to perform the repair either, so I refer this job to a nearby shop when it is needed. I'm not familiar with what 22mm plug has been removed

HighwayRepair :

sorry I was unable to help you, I'll re-open the question now and hopefully another expert will be able to assist you.

Customer:

It is plain as day if you were here to look under the car.

Expert:  snapontech replied 3 years ago.
Here are the steps..

CLICK HERE FOR THE FILL STEPS

Please take a moment to kindly press the green ACCEPT button by my name. Thanks in advance Danny
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.