Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

Volkswagen Would a bad coil pack cause my VW Jetta to start

Would a bad coil pack cause my VW Jetta to start then die ? How can i test a coil pack the easy way ?

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

I would appreciate some further info:

Billy :

- do you have any warning lights on or flashing (engine light etc...)?

Billy :

- what exactly is happening,.....is the engine turning on perfectly for one second, and then it shuts off.....?

Customer:

Hey Billy

Customer:

the engine is turning over fine

Customer:

it starts for a second sometimes and then it shuts off

Customer:

i used a obd scanner and it does not give me any codes, but epc light keeps flashing

Customer:

and as soon as the car turns on cel light goes away

Customer:

i have replaced the crank position sensor, maf sensor, coolant temp sensor, radiator temp sensor, plugs and wires, checked fuel....

Billy :

If the EPC is flashing, you most probably have a faulty throttle assmebly........but you need to confirm by checking using a VAGcom or VAS scan tool.......

Customer:

can i get any of those tools at auto zone?

Customer:

or can i test it somehow

Billy :

VAGCOM can be bought here: www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

Billy :

to test, you need a multimeter....

Customer:

is it ok to buy a used throttle ?

Billy :

if a throttle is fitted, you need to code it.....using a VAG scan tool.......and yes, if used and still operating,,,,,it is ok....

Billy :

to check the coils, remove plug wires one by one, while engine idling....and the one that does not make a difference will be the faulty plug, or coil

Billy :

coil part

Customer:

so no matter what i have to buy it than get it programed

Billy :

basically yes........if not coded (programmed) it would work....but it still needs coding.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

well

Customer:

i guess that's all then

Customer:

ill go ahead and sell this car

Customer:

and never get a vw again

Customer:

lol

Customer:

thanks for your time

Customer:

i will accept this for ya

Billy :

You do not mean that......VW s are good vehicles...........sometimes problematic....but all vehicles have there share........

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey one more quick question..... how would i know if throttle does not need programing because i really don't feel like paying to get it towed to the dealer?? If it only needs to be coded would it at least be driveable for short distance?

Thanks
if the throttle is good.......it would be drivable even without programming...(if no other problems exist)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so i buy a used one and if it's in good working order i can just install it and it will work, and if it's bad it wont work.

got it .... thanks
Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could i have a bad ECU ? I couldn't find a used throttle but i did find a used good ECU for cheap.... Would it be worth a shoot ?
It could be an ECU.........but a throttle is much more likely.......
And installing an ECU, would require reprogramming...it will not function without reprogramming.