Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member

Volkswagen Would a bad coil pack cause my VW Jetta to start

Customer Question

Would a bad coil pack cause my VW Jetta to start then die ? How can i test a coil pack the easy way ?
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

I would appreciate some further info:

Billy :

- do you have any warning lights on or flashing (engine light etc...)?

Billy :

- what exactly is happening,.....is the engine turning on perfectly for one second, and then it shuts off.....?

Customer:

Hey Billy

Customer:

the engine is turning over fine

Customer:

it starts for a second sometimes and then it shuts off

Customer:

i used a obd scanner and it does not give me any codes, but epc light keeps flashing

Customer:

and as soon as the car turns on cel light goes away

Customer:

i have replaced the crank position sensor, maf sensor, coolant temp sensor, radiator temp sensor, plugs and wires, checked fuel....

Billy :

If the EPC is flashing, you most probably have a faulty throttle assmebly........but you need to confirm by checking using a VAGcom or VAS scan tool.......

Customer:

can i get any of those tools at auto zone?

Customer:

or can i test it somehow

Billy :

VAGCOM can be bought here: www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

Billy :

to test, you need a multimeter....

Customer:

is it ok to buy a used throttle ?

Billy :

if a throttle is fitted, you need to code it.....using a VAG scan tool.......and yes, if used and still operating,,,,,it is ok....

Billy :

to check the coils, remove plug wires one by one, while engine idling....and the one that does not make a difference will be the faulty plug, or coil

Billy :

coil part

Customer:

so no matter what i have to buy it than get it programed

Billy :

basically yes........if not coded (programmed) it would work....but it still needs coding.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

well

Customer:

i guess that's all then

Customer:

ill go ahead and sell this car

Customer:

and never get a vw again

Customer:

lol

Customer:

thanks for your time

Customer:

i will accept this for ya

Billy :

You do not mean that......VW s are good vehicles...........sometimes problematic....but all vehicles have there share........

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey one more quick question..... how would i know if throttle does not need programing because i really don't feel like paying to get it towed to the dealer?? If it only needs to be coded would it at least be driveable for short distance?

Thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
if the throttle is good.......it would be drivable even without programming...(if no other problems exist)
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so i buy a used one and if it's in good working order i can just install it and it will work, and if it's bad it wont work.

got it .... thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could i have a bad ECU ? I couldn't find a used throttle but i did find a used good ECU for cheap.... Would it be worth a shoot ?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
It could be an ECU.........but a throttle is much more likely.......
And installing an ECU, would require reprogramming...it will not function without reprogramming.