Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

Volkswagen Passat Exhaust Fault warning light has come on

Exhaust Fault warning light has come on as key was put in the ignition.
Car is a Passat 170 TDi Automatic saloon. 57 plate
Mileage 54,000.
It drove perfectly the night before
Category: VW
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Customer:

Hi

Mike :

Hi there... The light you have is a systems fault light - switched on by the engine management ecu - computer because it has detected a fault somewhere in the engine managment systems..

Customer:

ok

Mike :

This can be a sensor fault somewhere on the engine - it usually is to be honest...it can even be a loose fuel tank cap ! so check that first - check its seal is good.. make general checks on and around the engine for any loose pipes / wires / connectors - anything like that can cause this..

Customer:

is it a question of trial and error first off then

Mike :

Other than the above - if you dont fond anything , the next move is to have the car connected to a plug in diagniostic machine - this will scan the ecu as above - its fault log memory for fault codes .. and that then directs the tech to the fault - the reason why the light has flicked on.

Mike :

its not trial and error no - but it can be just something simple ..so its worth just making those general checks first - just in case thats all it is..

Mike :

If you find any such thing and put it right - the light will go off.. and saves the trouble of diagnostic tests ;)

Customer:

I have not moved the vehicle since, but is it safe to do so , or if failing to find anything do I take it to a digonistics centre/vw garage

Mike :

ok.. when you have the engine running - how is it - is it rough / poor .. or does it run / sound and go ok?

Customer:

It sounds like normal, ticks over evenly at about 800rpm and revs up smoothly.

Mike :

ok, thats good - if it was poor - misfiring etc - then it would not be good to drive it - as its ok, you can drive it no problem and it wont cause any other problems / damage or anything...so make the checks as above see if yu find anything - if not... yes, being the car is 57 plate - a Vw garage is best - is it still in warranty ?

Customer:

no extended warranty ran out last month

Mike :

ah thats a shame.. ok, do that as above then - and then if you need the diagnostics doing - some smaller type garages have equipment good enough to deal with these later cars / systems, so you could ring around locally but if not - any Vw dealer can do it of course - though an independent would be quicker - and no doubt cheaper if you can locate one.

Customer:

Can't do checks until tonight as borrowed the wifes 1988 mercedes which starts first time and runs and runs.Thanks for your advice. Can I still ask a question tomorrow or later if i accept.

Mike :

Absolutely yes .. Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

Customer:

Thanks

Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience: 34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)