Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905
VW

Volkswagen Passat Exhaust Fault warning light has come on

Exhaust Fault warning light has... Show More
Exhaust Fault warning light has come on as key was put in the ignition.
Car is a Passat 170 TDi Automatic saloon. 57 plate
Mileage 54,000.
It drove perfectly the night before
Category: VW
replied 5 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Customer:

Hi

Mike :

Hi there... The light you have is a systems fault light - switched on by the engine management ecu - computer because it has detected a fault somewhere in the engine managment systems..

Customer:

ok

Mike :

This can be a sensor fault somewhere on the engine - it usually is to be honest...it can even be a loose fuel tank cap ! so check that first - check its seal is good.. make general checks on and around the engine for any loose pipes / wires / connectors - anything like that can cause this..

Customer:

is it a question of trial and error first off then

Mike :

Other than the above - if you dont fond anything , the next move is to have the car connected to a plug in diagniostic machine - this will scan the ecu as above - its fault log memory for fault codes .. and that then directs the tech to the fault - the reason why the light has flicked on.

Mike :

its not trial and error no - but it can be just something simple ..so its worth just making those general checks first - just in case thats all it is..

Mike :

If you find any such thing and put it right - the light will go off.. and saves the trouble of diagnostic tests ;)

Customer:

I have not moved the vehicle since, but is it safe to do so , or if failing to find anything do I take it to a digonistics centre/vw garage

Mike :

ok.. when you have the engine running - how is it - is it rough / poor .. or does it run / sound and go ok?

Customer:

It sounds like normal, ticks over evenly at about 800rpm and revs up smoothly.

Mike :

ok, thats good - if it was poor - misfiring etc - then it would not be good to drive it - as its ok, you can drive it no problem and it wont cause any other problems / damage or anything...so make the checks as above see if yu find anything - if not... yes, being the car is 57 plate - a Vw garage is best - is it still in warranty ?

Customer:

no extended warranty ran out last month

Mike :

ah thats a shame.. ok, do that as above then - and then if you need the diagnostics doing - some smaller type garages have equipment good enough to deal with these later cars / systems, so you could ring around locally but if not - any Vw dealer can do it of course - though an independent would be quicker - and no doubt cheaper if you can locate one.

Customer:

Can't do checks until tonight as borrowed the wifes 1988 mercedes which starts first time and runs and runs.Thanks for your advice. Can I still ask a question tomorrow or later if i accept.

Mike :

Absolutely yes .. Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

Customer:

Thanks