Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Certified to fix all makes and models
3827149

Volkswagen Jetta GLI Coolant leak on 2003 Jetta GLI

Wife has a coolant leak on 2003 Jetta GLI 2.8L 6spd man. Leak appears to be coming from the bottom of the pass. side of the upper intake manifold, is this even possible? The leak seems to be above and forward of the waterpump (judging by the wet parts). I reached under and can feel it wet there and is dripping onto the canister below. It also seems to only be leaking when the car is running. It appears to be from the IMT bearing cap seal. Is there even coolant there? If not, where could this be coming from. The radiator fan is dry on that side also and the belt doesn't seem to have any coolant residue on it. ANy help would be appreciated. Josh

Category: VW
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 5 years ago.
There are issues with these cars with the thermostat housing leaking was this checked ?Remove the engine cover to try to find the leak . Check the after run pump and see if it is there, if not more than likely the Thermostat housing is leaking. These are what need to be checked next .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All of these things mentioned are on the drivers side and below the area which is wet on the underside of the intae manifold. Any other ideas?
Yes they drip back and around were these checked . Could just be a cracked coolant hose in the back there . Do you have a cooling system pressure tester to test it ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a pressure tester. I have visually looked at the upper and lower rad hoses, and the tstat housing (as much as I can see from above) They all look dry. Also, aside from the upper rad hose, they are all lower than the intake where it appears to be dripping from, it would be awfully difficult for coolant to flow uphill across the underside if the intake and drip down. Do you have specific knowledge of this engine? I just want to know if there is coolant flowing throw the intake mani.
Yes coolant does flow through the intake manifold and best option is to pressure test to pinpoint the issue . Could be coming from the intake but need the system under pressure to pinpoint the leak.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. I will most likely take the car to be pressure tested and proceed from there.
Anytime . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.