Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

Volkswagen Golf GLS my car is making a loud clicking sound

my car is making a loud clicking sound around the front right tire, what could it possibly be? I live a long way from a dealer and it's a 2004, so no warranty.
Category: VW
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Customer:

Hi

Mike :

Hi there - Is the noise more prominant when the steering is on lock / turn?

Customer:

No

Customer:

i was just driving

Mike :

is it a load clicking / clacking noise?

Customer:

we used to put playing cards in the spokes of our bikes when young, it sounds like tick-tick-tick

Customer:

I need to find someone around me, but wanted to know what I am asking for and cost

Mike :

ok well, on these models, you can get a worn driveshaft / cv joint which will make a clacking noise when they go worn - this is normally quite loud and and always worse on cornering -- It sounds though as it may not be that as it doesn't seem to fit what you are describing - You will need to jack the car up and grab hold of the wheel - and shake it .. from top to bottom and side to side - see if there is any play - indicating a problem with the wheel bearing or similar -

Mike :

If nothing is found - no play etc - then the wheel will need to be removed and a physical insoection of the brakes - as the fault then can only be there -

Mike :

Cost is always difficult to say from here - as we dont know at this point exactly whats wrong - costs will differ depending on what is found

Mike :

You dont need to use a dealer - any local garage / shop can sort this easily for you if its something you cant do yourself.

Customer:

does it have anything to do with making groaning sounds sometimes. I always think someone needs to oil something because it sounds rusty. My mom says shocks

Mike :

Given that description - is the noise "rotational" - ie, as you drive - keeping pace with the car road speed ?

Customer:

There is a sound when I go faster and stops with my foot off the gas pedal

Customer:

The ticking sound is new and very loud though

Mike :

Ok, its going to be something with either of the above then - wheel bearing, brakes etc as above. It will need to be checked out as above to find it.

Mike :

If you can get someone to jack it up and check it as above, you will find it Im sure of that.

Customer:

I love my VWs, but I can take it anywhere to fix?

Customer:

Do you know any places in the Blaine, MN area?

Mike :

Yes , most any shop can deal with it just fine for you - and it will be a lot cheaper than a VW dealer - Im afraid I dont know your area specifically - but do a local google search or yellow pages - you will find a good palce for sure-

Customer:

ok, thanks

Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience: 34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)