Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

VW Jetta: 2003 Jetta 1.9 alternator removal

Customer Question

2003 Jetta 1.9 alternator removal
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

this may help you

thanks

Volkswagen Cars 2000-05

Alternator

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Location of the alternator bolts on a 1994 Jetta 2.0L, 8 valve model

Before purchasing a replacement alternator, read the specification plate on the housing. The number 14V will appear to indicate maximum voltage rating. On the same line will be two more digits followed by the letter A . This is the maximum amperage output. Be sure to purchase an alternator with the same rating. The regulator can be replaced without removing the alternator.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the engine undercover, if equipped.
  3. Disconnect the wiring from the alternator. If necessary, mark the wires with tape or other means to ensure they are connected properly upon installation.
  4. Loosen the belt tension, and remove the drive belt from the alternator.
  5. Remove the alternator adjustment bolt, followed by the pivot bolts.
  6. Carefully lift the alternator from the bracket.

To install:

1. Hold the alternator in position on the mounting bracket, and install the pivot bolt. On later engines with automatic belt tensioners, install the upper mounting bolt.
  2. Install (but do not tighten) the alternator adjustment bolt (earlier models only).
  3. Place the alternator drive belt on the pulley.
  4. Adjust belt tension and tighten the mounting and adjustment bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  5. Connect the wiring to the alternator. If tape was used to identify the wires, make sure it is removed once the wires are connected.
  6. Install the engine undercover, if equipped.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator mounting detail-2.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator belt mounting detail-VR6 engines

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator mounting detail-6 cylinder engines (except VR6 and Passat)

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator mounting detail-6 cylinder engine (Passat)

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator mounting detail-V8 engine (Passat)

2. Disconnect the wiring from the alternator. If necessary, mark the wires with tape or other means to ensure they are connected properly upon installation.
  3. Loosen the belt tension, and remove the drive belt from the alternator. On VR6 (AAA) engines only, remove the belt tensioner from the cylinder head.
  4. Remove the alternator adjustment bolt, followed by the pivot bolts.
  5. Carefully lift the alternator from the bracket.

To install:

4. Adjust belt tension and tighten the mounting and adjustment bolts as necessary.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Before purchasing a replacement alternator, read the specification plate on the housing. The number '14V' will appear to indicate maximum voltage rating. On the same line will be 2 more digits followed by the letter 'A'. This is the maximum amperage output. Be sure to purchase an alternator with the same rating. If the back of the alternator is readily accessible, the voltage regulator can be replaced without removing the alternator.

1. Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. If additional work space is needed, on A4 and 1998-00 Passat models, place the lock carrier in the Service Position. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Body and Trim, Lock Carrier, Service Position.
  4. If equipped, remove the cooling ducts and shroud as necessary.
  5. Loosen the belt tension, and remove the drive belt from the alternator. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): General Information and Maintenance, Belts.
  6. If necessary, remove the belt tensioner.
  7. If equipped, remove the alternator adjustment bolt.
  8. Remove the mounting/pivot bolt(s).
  9. Carefully lift the alternator from the bracket.

To install:

1. Hold the alternator in position on the mounting bracket, and install the mounting/pivot bolt(s).
  2. If equipped, install (but Do NOT tighten) the alternator adjustment bolt.
  4. Adjust belt tension and tighten the mounting and adjustment bolts as necessary. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): General Information and Maintenance, Belts
  6. Connect the negative battery cable and enter the radio security code.

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Location of the alternator bolts on the 2.0L ABA engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The 2.8L V6 alternator, regulator and their mounting components

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Use Tool No. 3310 or its equivalent to remove the alternator drive pulley on 1.8L and 2.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Note the alternator drive belt's installation direction before removal. Install the belt in the same direction

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. The 1.8L alternator is hard mounted to the front of the engine

All Others

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator belt routing-all except VR6, with power steering, no A/C

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator belt mounting detail-1993-99 diesel engines

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Diesel engine belt alternator belt routing

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Alternator belt mounting detail-1994-99 VR6 engines

To install:

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Diesel Engine

To install:

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

Gasoline Engines (Except 2.5L)

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator mounting detail-2.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator belt mounting detail-VR6 engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator mounting detail-6 cylinder engines (except VR6 and Passat)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator mounting detail-6 cylinder engine (Passat)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator mounting detail-V8 engine (Passat)

To install:

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Um ya, that helped none, I have 2003 Jetta 1.9, does it come out fender well side? out top? out back of bracket? does engine need to off motor mount brackets? Am looking for specific, not, remove belt, remove alt, reverse procedure for installation.

sorry

i will opt out,,maybe one of the other guys has directions for you diesel

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks