VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Volkswagen New Beetle TDi How common are auto trans problems

How common are auto trans problems on 2001 New Beetle TDi's? I've found a nice one w/145,000 miles... my only concern is that it has an automatic trans.

Ralph
Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 5 years ago.

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

If nothing shows up on a vag-com, or other vw-specific scan tool that can communicate with the transmission controller...

VWDoc :

and the car shifts well. meaning firm shifts, not harsh. No "flare" between shifts, meaning it doesn't slip or rev up during a shift...

VWDoc :

then the car should be in good shape for at least another 50k miles...

VWDoc :

And possibly longer.

VWDoc :

At this mileage, I do not recommend a fluid/filter change, but the level should be at least checked

VWDoc :

and only VW fluid used if it needs topping off. The checking and top off procedures are fairly involved, and also require a vw-specific scan tool

VWDoc :

And hopefully this helps.

Customer:

If I check vehicle and it shifts well, then I should be OK for aXXXXXback to home base and my VW dealer??? The only valid diagnosis for transmission is specific VW based computer, not an Auto Zone generalized computer?

VWDoc :

Yes, correct. If shifting feels good, then theXXXXXshould be problem-free. And yes, only VW-specific scan tools can communicate with the transmission control module. Not a generic parts store OBD scanner.

VWDoc :

Most independent VW shops will have the Vag-Com scan tool which is what I use

Customer:

Great!! I take it the 2001 is pre-triptonic and thus a bit more simple?

VWDoc :

Correct. The '01 uses what is known as the 01M transmission, and it's much easier to repair than the later 09G

Customer:

Thanks be to God!!!!