vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Beetle My 99 VW Beetle is still overheating after

My 99 VW Beetle is still overheating after cylinderhead repair, replacement of waterpump,thermostat,hoses,cap and radiator. The cooling fan works just fine. And it seems that there is at times no circulation of coolant. For testing purpose I have mounted a piece of clear plastic hose in between the return hose and the expansion tank. When the coolant flows then no overheating problem. I tried this with and without thermostat and the results are the same.__And just out of nowhere the coolant in the return line start boiling and pressure is building up in the expansion tank. Radiator and both rad. hoses are about 165-175degree F. I performed a cylinderhead block test and this came out neg. No discoloration of the blue fluid__Any idea
Category: VW
Expert:  vwnewton replied 3 years ago.

vwnewton :

Hello, Jason here to help. On the side of the cylinder head, drivers side, is a small metal nipple. They like to clog with rust and scale and can come and go with overheating. This nipple has a hose attached that is the bleed hose. That is the first thing I would look at based on your repairs. Jason

Customer:

OK I will take a look at that,

vwnewton :

Ok. That is a common problem in the 2.0l.

vwnewton :

All it takes is a chunk of rust or scale to clog it. I run a drill in the tube and then try to flush the chunks out.

Customer:

Did try that, so far no luck. Will keep on working on it.

vwnewton :

The other possibility would be the water pump impeller is slipping. The OE water pump and a lot of after market ones use a plastic impeller(fan). These will slip at times. To prove this, remove the thermostat and use a mirror to look at it. Also use your finger to try to turn the impeller. If its cracked, or turns, it is bad. I have seen brand new ones do this after 50 miles. I only use metal impeller pumps. Look at it. That would also cause a no flow situation. Jason

Customer:

After cleaning the passage on the side of the cylinderhead (return/bleeder) it seems to work OK again, being that this has been a intermittent problem I will keep an eye on it for a couple of days before I take anything else apart. I did check the waterpump impeller and that thing is real solid mounted to the shaft. I hope that your first recommendation will do the job.

vwnewton :

Thats what I figured it might be. Cleaning the pipe out will allow the chunks to be either flushed out, or settled into the engine block in a low flow area. If the problem reoccurs, please let me know. Jason

vwnewton :

How is it going? I hope I was helpful in the overheat situation. If so please leave feedback. Jason

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Experience: 25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.