VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.

How do I bypass the alarm system on a 97 Jetta.

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
The alarm module is right next to the speedometer, behind the headlight switch. You can pull the headlight switch and vents out next to the speedo if you want. Then there's two connectors on the alarm module. Cut and connect together the two LARGE red wires. Leave that module disconnected. Alarm is now bypassed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not clear on where the headlight switch is ? Is it underneath the dash next to the speedometer or do I have to open the hood and pull the plastic vent guard off to get to the switch above the firewall?

Expert:  VWDoc replied 5 years ago.
Headlamp switch:

Remove the plastic piece to the left of it, the switch and the vent, and you've have full access to the alarm module.

Alarm module: