vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

2000 passat: headlights..wipers, blinkers..doesnt blow out air

why does my 2000 passat headlights, wipers, blinkers, rear defroster do ot work and for some reason the ebrake is not acctivated but the car thinks it is on. so when im driving at night i have to hold the high beam on in order for the lights to work. also, the heat/ac doesnt blow out air. im in desperate need of an answer. fyi..the climate control unit blinks when i start the car....and also the dimmer for the dashboard lighting doesnt work either
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Very common issue you have a faulty electrical part of the igniiton switch you will need to remove the steering wheel and the column trims to replace it . I hope this helps.

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO CLICK ACCEPT FOR MY TIME AND KNOWLEDGE THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I GET COMPENSATED THANK YOU
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this will cure all the other problems such as the dimmer, the signal lights, the heat/ac issue and everything i mentioned?
They happened at the same time ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes...i went to put the car in reverse to pull out of a parking lot,,,,then all of a sudden the brake light came on and the headlights turned off obviously because thats the only way to turn off the daytime running lights (pulling the ebrake up)...so the car thinks that my ebrake is on...once that happened, everything followed immediately...thats why im asking if the ignition switch would cause all those issues
Yes this wil take care of the issue, make sure all the fuses are good also . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i hope this helps too because im bringing it to vw on tuesday cause im cool with one of the techs that work there but it scares me that he didnt pinpoint that right away like u did. now could that of happened due to the car having a remote start installed in it...i knew it had to do with the remote start so i had it removed the day before yesterday thinking that would resolve the issue....so that explains why its a faulty part of the ignition switch (as you said) because they have to hook the remote start to the ignition... am i right?
The electrical part of the igniton powers all of the things that are not working this is why those items are not working because the ignitions switch 15 power is bad .

vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks you very much man...i will now click the accept button due to your helpful knowledge....last question....do you happen to live in new york? cause i could use someone like you because people swear they know about vdubs and they dont know crap and they end up ruining your car wose than it was when you brought it to them.
Sorry am located in the midwest