VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

How much should a tune up cost for a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 3 years ago.

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

so, I'll first want to ask you how many miles are on your car

Customer :

75,000

VWDoc :

ok, so let's talk about recent maintenance history, say, over the last 25k miles

VWDoc :

there really isn't a traditional tune up done on these cars, beyond plugs and an air filter

Customer :

The owner of the car is out of the country. My wife is renting her house and gets the use of the car. The car, the house, and my wife are all in Reno, NV.

VWDoc :

alright....interesting situation...so she's wanting to make sure the car stays in a good state of repair

Customer :

I have no maintenance history but the car is running very rough and the mechanice my wife took it to today says it needs a tune up and wanted to charge her $400.

Customer :

Yes and I want to make sure the car doesn't break down somewhere inconvenient while she is driving it.

VWDoc :

Sure, totally understood....

VWDoc :

typically, when one of these cars runs rough, it's not going to be related to a normal tune-up issue, but I'm sure there's a check engine light related to it...

Customer :

The check engine light is on.

VWDoc :

ok, let me give you advice first....

VWDoc :

no chain store tune up

Customer :

Agree 100%.

VWDoc :

2nd part....I need to know the engine trouble codes

Customer :

Need a bit more explanation on this request; what codes?

VWDoc :

ah ok....let me give a bit more information....

VWDoc :

so there's a check engine light on.....

VWDoc :

that means that the engine control module has recorded a fault

VWDoc :

that fault needs to be read out with, at bare minimum, a generic On-Board Diagnostic II scan tool....

VWDoc :

there will be a list of codes that the scan will show....

VWDoc :

and with as many of these cars that I work on, if I had that list, I could likely offer some very specific advice on how to fix them....

VWDoc :

My strong advice now, is to research a place in Reno that specializes in Euro cars

VWDoc :

but not a dealer

VWDoc :

So, I know your original question was "how much should a tune up cost on a 2002 VW", we've gone a bit beyond this

VWDoc :

Hopefully the advice helps, and I'd be happy to continue on when we have some more information

VWDoc :

and with the silence....hopefully I haven't overwhelmed you with information

VWDoc :

still with me?

VWDoc :

I'm a bit out of time now

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We had the engine scanned. The codes are P1151 and P0300. Can you now give me information on what is going on with the car. By the way I tried pushing the "Accept Answer" button yesterday, but nothing happened.
Expert:  VWDoc replied 3 years ago.
P1151-mean lean running condition, usually caused by a manifold/vacuum leak or faulty air mass meter. I would not change the air mass meter before having the intake pressurized with an inert smoke generator.

P0300 - multiple misfires. This is likely due to the leak I'm alluding to above.