vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

vw: tdi..exhaust gas temperature circuit bank one..check engine light

Customer Question

09 vw tdi with a exhaust gas temperature circuit bank one, sensor one, code. have blinking glow plug light and check engine light. where is this sensor and what are the procedures to trouble shoot this issue. I believe it is on the particulate filter but need some direction. car has 40,000 miles
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Can you please provide me the fault #?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I use an autoxray 4000 code reader and does only gives me the component failure. From my new bently manual it shows a vag code of 16928. Also a sae p-code of P0544. Hope this helps.
Ok you have a faulty egt sensor which is the exhaust gas temperature sensor these are common to fail located on the either the exhaust manifold of the exhaust close to the engine side here is a picture of one not exactly the same but close. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My bentley manual shows three egt sensors. One between the particulate filter and the reduction catalyst and two on the upper front of the parrticulate filter. I have seen the wireing for the two and will look for the single one. How do I tell which one has failed? Is there a test to tell using my digital meter. Looks the the two on the particulate filter could be a bugger to get to.

Thanks

dlw

It would be the one before the converter . It will be hard to test with a digital meter we use a scan tool to see the changes it does. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do you access to vw illustration 253-70? Looks like right off of the particular filter. my bentley manual calls it a G648. Sound right to you? I live in the north west corner of Wyoming and my closest dealer is Salt Lake 500 miles away so I appreciate your help.

I dont have a bentley manual i do all my online from vw please post the picture on here or post your vin # XXXXX i can look at in my repair manual thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My vin# 3VWPL71K79M332717. I could also fax you a couple of pictures if that would help. If you come up with a part # XXXXX also be good.

Thanks

dlw

Give me some time to review this because am a little busy at the shop is that ok with you ??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am swapped in my schoolk bus shop to, so take your time.

Thanks for your help

dlw

Ok i have checked it yes that is the correct one
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have not seen a e-mail reply to the last info I sent out. Just checking

dlw

I stated that the one you have listed is the correct egt sensor