Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Volkswagen Jetta GLS hi how do you find the tdc on your crankshaft

hi how do you find the tdc on your crankshaft if the belt was removed and marks were not made
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

usethefactory marks

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Removal & Installation

WARNING Do NOT turn the engine or camshaft with the timing belt removed. The pistons will contact the valves and cause internal engine damage.

NOTE The radio may have a coded theft protection circuit. Obtain the code before disconnecting the battery, removing the radio fuse, or removing the radio.

CAUTION Timing belt maintenance is extremely important. All Hyundai models use interference-type non-freewheeling engines. Should the timing belt break in these engines, the valves in the cylinder head will come in contact with the pistons, causing major engine damage. The recommended replacement interval for timing belts is 60,000 miles.

CAUTION On models with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work.
1.8L (Acc) And 2.0L (Aba) Engines

NOTE Do not turn the engine or camshaft with the camshaft drive belt removed. The pistons will contact the valves and cause internal engine damage.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the accessory drive belts, crankshaft pulley and the timing belt cover(s).
  2. Temporarily reinstall the crankshaft pulley bolt, if removed, and turn the crankshaft to Top Dead Center (TDC) of No. 1 piston. The mark on the camshaft sprocket should be aligned with the mark on the inner drive belt cover, if equipped, or the edge of the cylinder head.
  3. On 8-valve engines, the notch on the crankshaft pulley should align with the dot on the intermediate shaft sprocket. With the distributor cap removed, the rotor should be pointing toward the No. 1 mark on the rim of the distributor housing.
  4. Loosen the locknut on the tensioner pulley and turn the tensioner counterclockwise to relieve the tension on the timing belt.
  5. Slide the timing belt off the sprockets.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Camshaft timing belt sprocket TDC alignment mark-Volkswagen 1.8L (ACC) and 2.0L (ABA) engines

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Align the flywheel (A) or driveplate (B) as shown for TDC alignment for cylinder No. 1-Volkswagen 1.8L (ACC) and 2.0L (ABA) engines

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. When the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC, the ignition rotor should face the notch in the distributor housing-Volkswagen 2.0L (ABA) engine

1. Install the new timing belt and tension the belt so that it can be twisted 90 degrees at the middle of its longest section, between the camshaft and intermediate sprockets.
  2. Recheck the alignment of the timing marks, if correct, turn the engine 2 full revolutions to return to TDC of No. 1 piston. Recheck belt tension and timing marks. Readjust as required. Tighten the tensioner nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  3. Reinstall the belt cover and accessory drive belts.

NOTE When running the engine, there will be a growling noise that rises and falls with engine speed if the belt is too tight.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the flywheel (A) or driveplate (B) as shown for TDC alignment for cylinder No. 1-Volkswagen 1.8L (ACC) and 2.0L (ABA) engines

1.8L (AEB) Engine

1. Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Place the (hood) lock carrier in the service position. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Body And Trim, Service Position, Front Bumper, Hood Lock Carrier.
  3. Remove the engine accessory drive belts. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): General Information And Maintenance, Routing Maintenance And Tune-up.
  4. Using a 5 x 60mm bolt, secure the viscous fan pulley. Using a hex wrench, remove the viscous fan-to-pulley bolts. Remove the viscous fan assembly.
  5. Turn the engine by hand to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the firing stroke for cylinder No. 1.
  6. Remove the upper timing belt cover.

NOTE If reusing the timing belt, mark its rotational direction so it may be installed in its original position.

1. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft in the direction of engine rotation to position the No. 1 cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.
  2. Remove the damper pulley-to-crankshaft bolts and the damper.
  3. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  4. Using a Torx® Wrench T45, or equivalent, loosen the timing belt tensioner, push the tensioner downward and remove the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Crankshaft pulley and camshaft sprocket alignment locations-1.8L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension adjustment-1.8L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Timing belt tension wear limits-1.8L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The Top Dead Center (TDC) alignment marks for the camshaft sprocket

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. The timing belt, tensioner and guide roller

To install:

1. Align the camshaft sprocket timing mark with the cylinder head cover mark.
  2. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft sprocket with the arrow facing the rotational direction.
  3. Install the lower timing belt cover.
  4. Using a bolt, secure the damper/belt pulley on the crankshaft.
  5. Align the crankshaft damper/belt pulley with the housing timing mark so that the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of its compression stroke.
  6. Install the timing belt on the camshaft sprocket and belt tensioner.
  7. Using a 2-pin Spanner Matra Tool No. V159 Wrench, or equivalent, lift (turn clockwise) the timing belt tensioner cylinder No. 1 until it is fully extended and tensioner cylinder No. 2 is raised approx. 1mm ( 3 / 8 inch); then, hand-tighten the mounting bolt.
  8. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete rotation in the running direction.
  9. Inspect area 'A' for proper alignment with the upper edge of piston No. 2 and adjust if necessary.

Area 'A' - adjustment OK Area 'B' - wear limit Area 'C' - re-adjust and check belt drive including tensioner for wear.

NOTE If the piston edge is located in area 'A', measurement 'D' is 25-29mm ( 31 / 32 -1 1 / 8 inches).

1. After adjustment has been verified, secure the tensioner with a 2-pin Spanner Matra Tool No. V159 Wrench, or equivalent, and tighten the mounting bolt.
  2. Complete the damper to crankshaft installation.
  3. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft 2 rotations in the direction of engine rotation until the camshaft and crankshaft marks align with their respective reference points.
  4. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  5. Install the drive belts.
  6. The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal.
  7. Install the negative battery cable last.
  8. Test drive the vehicle.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the necessary components to gain access to the front of the engine.
  3. Place an open-end wrench on the alternator belt tensioner and rotate it clockwise toward the alternator to release the belt-s tension. Remove the alternator serpentine drive belt and release the tensioner.
    NOTE If necessary to lock the alternator tensioner in position, align the housing holes and insert an Allen wrench into the holes to secure its movement.
  5. Remove the upper timing belt cover.
  6. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft in the direction of engine rotation to position the No. 1 cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.
  7. Remove the damper pulley-to-crankshaft bolts and the damper.
  8. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  9. Using a Torx Wrench T45, loosen the timing belt tensioner, push the tensioner downward and remove the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Crankshaft pulley and camshaft sprocket alignment locations-Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension adjustment- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension wear limits- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB) 4-Cyl engine

To install:

3. Install the lower timing belt cover.
  7. Using a 2-pin Spanner Matra V159 Wrench, lift (turn clockwise) the timing belt tensioner cylinder No. 1 until it is fully extended and tensioner cylinder No. 2 is raised approx. 1mm; then, hand-tighten the mounting bolt.
  9. Inspect area -A- for proper alignment with the upper edge of piston No. 2 and adjust if necessary.
    NOTE If the piston edge is located in area -A-, measurement -D- is 0.984-1.142 in. (25-29mm).

Area -A- - adjustment OK Area -B- - wear limit Area -C- - re-adjust and check belt drive including tensioner for wear.
  10. After adjustment has been verified, secure the tensioner with a 2-pin Spanner Matra V159 Wrench and tighten the mounting bolt.
  11. Complete the damper to crankshaft installation.
  12. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft 2 rotations in the direction of engine rotation until the camshaft and crankshaft marks align with their respective reference points.
  13. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  14. Install the drive belts.
  15. Replace the remaining components by reversing the removal procedures.
  16. Install the negative battery cable last.
  17. Test drive the vehicle.

1.8L (Aeb/Atw/Awm/Awv) 4-Cylinder Engines

1. Using a 5 x 60mm bolt, secure the viscous fan pulley. Using a hex wrench, remove the viscous fan-to-pulley bolts. Remove the viscous fan assembly.
  2. Remove the upper timing belt cover.

3. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  4. Using a Torx Wrench T45, loosen the timing belt tensioner, push the tensioner downward and remove the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Crankshaft pulley and camshaft sprocket alignment locations-Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB/ATW/AWM/AWP/AWV/AWW) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension adjustment- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB/ATW/AWM/AWV) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension wear limits- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB/ATW/AWM/AWV) 4-Cyl engine

To install:

3. Install the lower timing belt cover.

1. After adjustment has been verified, secure the tensioner with a 2-pin Spanner Matra V159 Wrench and tighten the mounting bolt.
  4. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  5. Install the drive belts.
  6. Replace the remaining components by reversing the removal procedures.
  8. Test drive the vehicle.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.