Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

Trouble code P0411 on my Beetle. Secondary air flow. What is it?

I just got the trouble code P0411 on my Beetle. Secondary air flow. What is it?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
UIt's usually vacuum lines let me get a diagram. Air is pumped from the pump to the valve number 1 on the side of the head. The solenoid number 10 is opened by the engine compute and allows vacuum to go to the vacuum nipple on the valve number 1. The kombi valvei s bolted to the driver side of the head. Check the vac lines first.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, if the hoses are all good should I look at valve #1 as the first potential problem? And how would I test it?
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
To test it we pull vacuum on the nipple with a handheld vacuum pump which you can buy at the parts store or harbor freight for like $40. If it holds vacuum take the plastic hose that goes to it from the second air pump and try to blow through it. If not it is bad or the head could be clogged. If you can blow through it manually turn the second air pump on using large wires coming off the battery and see if it works. If it does you should be able to pull vacuum on the valve, trigger the pump, and air should come out the exhaust.

Go up under the bumper and check the second air pump, disconnect one of the plastic pipes it isn't uncommon for them to get water in them and it ruins them.

Danny