vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

Volkswagen Golf Have a 1997 Golf, need to replace the ignition

Have a 1997 Golf, need to replace the ignition switch. Can this be done without removing the lock barrel?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Are you replacing the ignition switch itself or just the electrical part of it ??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just need to replace the electrical part. Steering wheel lock and key works fine, but have to turn the key to just the right position make the electrical switch operate.
The correct and easier way is to remove the lock barrel because it will be too hard to get it from the back you can try to remove the under steering column kick panel to have access to it but we remove the barrel and sleeve with a puller . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!