gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Gas station..crank..full throttle..5 seconds then car started

P0103 2002 Cabrio
Drove car to gas station and shut off car. After refueling engine would crank over and over. Applied full throttle while engine cranked for 5 seconds then car started. This is intermittent. Happens every 4-6 months then clean MAF and throttle body then problem goes away. It has been colder than normal here in houston.
I feel I need to replace the MAF but after giving it full throttle I wonder about the throttle body.
I'm a 4 year tech with little to none tune-up experience.

gomi_otaku :

If it happened right after you filled up, it sounds like your N80 EVAP purge valve is stuck open and allowing the gas fumes straight through from the gas tank on refueling (effectively flooding the engine). If you take it off, tap out the end coming from the gas tank on a piece of white paper- if there is black carbon dust then the charcoal canister is failing. If not then I would at least replace the N80 valve.

Customer:

This is my sisters vehicle, she just informed me that the light was on before refueling. And how would the N80 Cause a P0103?

gomi_otaku :

Sorry, I didn't originally see the fault code- I was relying on your description of the problem. However, if the N80 is sticking, it is the same as having an intake air leak (except it is sucking air from the charcoal canister instead of outside air) which will set a MAF low input reading. Once there are no gas fumes left in the charcoal canister, it is then just sucking air from outside right through the canister.

Customer:

Is this a driveway job? haha

gomi_otaku :

absolutely- the N80 is just a small plastic canister, the size of a 35mm film canister (if anybody remembers those, heh!) with an electrical connector. It will be located over right by the passenger fender, right by the airbox. There should just be hose clamps holding the hoses on (though they may just be slipped on without hose clamps)

Customer:

And I see that Orileys doesn't carry it. I hope its cheap. Is N80 what I ask for at the VW parts dept? Thank you very much, your explanations make alot of sense. Except for the 35mm film cannister? (just kidding)

gomi_otaku :

You can also try blowing through either end of the valve (don't suck on it in case there is carbon in there) The valve should not flow either direction without power applied to the valve. It may not be easily detected though, if the gap is small. When the EVAP system pressurizes the tank to check for leaks it needs to be able to hold that pressure.

gomi_otaku :

Yes, EVAP purge valve N80. If you've only ever used a digital camera, 35mm film is what most "analog" cameras used to use, and a lot of people kept the little canisters to hold small things, as they had a snap lid and could keep out water.

Customer:

lol, thank you very much for your help. This sight is great. Thank you!

Customer:

Anything else I should know?