Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

Volkswagen Golf GTI how to replace a clutch step by step

Customer Question

how to replace a clutch step by step
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Below are directions:

TRANSAXLE REMOVAL:
  1. Remove the battery.
  2. Detach the backup light switch connector and the speedometer cable from the transaxle; plug the speedometer cable hole.
  3. Remove the upper engine-to-transaxle bolts.
  4. Remove the 3 right side engine mount bolts, between the engine and firewall.
  5. To disconnect the shift linkage, pry open the ball joint ends and remove the shift and relay shaft rods.
  6. Remove the center bolt from the left transaxle mount.
  7. Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove the front wheels. Connect the engine sling tool VW-10-222A or equivalent, to the loop in the cylinder head and just take the weight of the engine off the mounts. On the 16 valve engine, the idle stabilizer valve must be removed to attach the tool. Do not try to support the engine from below.
  8. Remove the drain plug and drain the oil from the transaxle.
  9. Remove the left inner fender liner.
  10. Disconnect the halfshafts from the inner drive flanges and hang them from the body.
  11. Remove the clutch cover plate and the small plate behind the right halfshaft flange.
  12. Remove the starter and front engine mount.
  13. Disconnect the clutch cable and remove it from the transaxle housing.
  14. Place a jack under the transaxle and remove the last bolts holding it to the engine. Remove the remaining transaxle mount bolts and mounts.
  15. Carefully pry the transaxle away from the engine and lower it from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Coat the input shaft lightly with molybdenum grease and carefully fit the transaxle in place. If necessary, put the transaxle in any gear and turn an output flange to align the input shaft spline with the clutch spline.
  2. Install the engine-to-transaxle bolts and tighten to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
  3. When installing the mounts to the transaxle, tighten the rear bracket-to-engine bolts and the transaxle support bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Tighten the left bracket-to-transaxle bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) and the remaining mounting bolts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm). Install but do not tighten the bolts that go into the rubber mounts.
  4. Install the starter and front mount.
  5. With all mounts installed and the transaxle safely in the vehicle, allow some slack in the lifting equipment. With the vehicle safely supported, shake the engine/transaxle as a unit to settle it in the mounts. Tighten all mounting bolts, starting at the rear and working forward. Tighten the bolts that go into the rubber mounts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
  6. Install the halfshafts and tighten the bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Install the clutch cover plates.
  7. Connect the shift linkage and clutch cable and adjust as required.
  8. Install the inner fender and complete the remaining installation. Refill the transaxle with oil.

CLUTCH REPLACEMENT:

A special tool VW 547 is required to center the clutch disc.

1. Remove the transaxle.
  2. Attach a toothed flywheel locking device and gradually loosen the flywheel to pressure plate bolts one or two turns at a time in a crisscross pattern to prevent distortion.
  3. Remove the flywheel and the clutch disc.
  4. Use a small pry bar to remove the release plate retaining ring. Remove the release plate.
  5. Lock the pressure plate in place and unbolt it from the crankshaft. Loosen the bolts one or two turns at a time in a crisscross pattern to prevent distortion.

To install:

1. Use new bolts to attach the pressure plate to the crankshaft. Use a thread locking compound and tighten the bolts in a diagonal pattern to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) plus 1 / 4 of a turn.
  2. LIGHTLY lubricate the clutch disc splines, release plate contact surface, and pushrod socket with multipurpose grease. Install the release plate, retaining ring, and clutch disc.
  3. Use special tool VW 547 or equivalent to center the clutch disc.
  4. Install the flywheel, tightening the bolts one or two turns at a time in a crisscross pattern to prevent distortion. Tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  5. Install the transaxle.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the bolts from the flywheel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Clutch friction plate

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Flywheel, clutch friction plate (clutch disc), and pressure plate

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Close up of the clutch disc. Notice the criss-cross fiber re-enforcement in the discs friction surface. This clutch design reduces clatter upon engagement

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Clutch disc positioned inside the flywheel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Release plate and spring clip

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Squeeze the spring clip to remove it from the release plate

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Pressure plate to crankshaft bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Match the dowel pin with the edge of the pressure plate

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i need it explained even more
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i need it explained more. i need it the easy way.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

the method I gave you is the only way to do the repair. the transaxle has to come out. Its not like a rear wheel drive where you can just slide the transmission back to access the clutch. On this, the transaxle must come out, so there really isnt any "easy" way.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, but do you know if i should take the driveshafts out? if so how would one do that?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

remove the bolts at the cv axle where it meets the transaxle. use a prybar to pop it free of the tansaxle and use a piece of twine or a bungee cord to secure the driveshafts to the inner fender in engine compartment to prevent it from hanging down too much and damaging the outer axle joint
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where does the clutch release bearing on a 1994 volkswagen golf gti go?