vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2000 New Beetle - drivers seat adjuster cable is either broken

Customer Question

2000 New Beetle - drivers seat adjuster cable is either broken or stuck. I can't seem to move it with a screw driver; it's stuck open, not going into a hole.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

What part of the seat wont move ??the botXXXXX XXXXXdle where it moves the seat from front to back ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The seat slides front to back freely without stopping or adjusting. When trying to drive it slides all the way back. Dangerous!

The "plunger" or whatever the thing is called that is supposed to spring into the holes or out of the holes, in order to adjust the seat where you want it, is stuck open. Therefore, the seat slides from front to back without being able to stop where needed.

When the seat adjustment handle is pulled forward nothing releases because the cable is stuck open or broken. But, as I said, it seems to be connected because the handle springs or pulls back and forth. The "plunger" head itself just seems to be stuck open. (?) But, the part "plunger" will not budge when I try to move it with a screw driver; it is stuck open (not going into the holes).

Ok you will need to remove the seat more then likely you have a broXXXXX XXXXXdle , what happens is that the piece where the cable attached to the handle breaks off the seat frame they do it sell it separate from the frame but you will need to raise the seat up to see it. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the handle is not broken and it is connected to the cable. Like I said, the handle or lever that you are to pull is still being pulled back and forth by the spring loaded cable. It's just that the "head or plunger" that is to in and out does not move in and out of the holes; it is frozen in place and does not move.

I already knew that the cable may or may not be broken in some way (maybe). What I was wondering about was - if you knew how to get the "head or plunger" to move; to get it unfrozen?
You need to at least tilt the seat back to be able to see what is going on follow the handle where it is attached to this will be the only way. I hope this helps.