gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

How do I change the rear brake pads on my 1998 volkswagen beetle?

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 3 years ago.

gomi_otaku :

You should only need to remove the rear bolts from the caliper slides. Once they are out the caliper and pads will pull backward off the caliper carrier. Sometimes you need to slip a screwdriver or small prybar between the caliper frame and the body of the caliper in order to get it loose- the pads have an adhesive backing on them, so they will stick to the caliper body, and if there is a lip on the rotors that will hang it up slightly as well

gomi_otaku :

In order to reset the rear piston, you need to have a special tool that will both compress the piston and rotate it in clockwise as it is compressing- do NOT use a channelock pliers or anything on the caliper piston as it will be damaged and tear up the seals

gomi_otaku :

If the pads are haning up soemtimes you can stick a prybar between the backing plate of the pad and the rotor and give it a slight leverage to push the piston in enough for the pads to clear the rotor lip

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.