Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2006 vw Jetta TDI: Subject:: windshield washer pump fuse..guys

Subject:: windshield washer pump fuse for a 2006 vw Jetta TDI - can you help me with the location of the fuse?

Thanks, guys.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

It is a 20 amp fuse in location 41 of the interior fusebox. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan, thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately, there is no fuze in the slot 41 that you mention. There is a 15 amp fuze in slot 42, or at least I think it is slot 42, since they are not numbered.

All in all, there is only one 20 amp fuze in the entire interior fuzebox. Can we work on this some more?

The symptoms are
a. no washer fluid coming to the windshield (yes, the washer fluid tank is full)
b. when I try to actuate the washers, there is no sound of the pump,
c. the wipers also do not work.

When I read on the web, and to a degree in the owner's manual, it is difficult to determine if the fuze is really in the panel on the side of the dash, or if it is in the panel under the hood. My TDI has the smaller panel under the hood, and both fuzes referenced in the owners manual for the windshield wipers, # XXXXX and #19 in the under the hood box test ok with both a visual test, and a continuity test.

Don't know whether I have helped your trobleshooting situation, or not. I await your response. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Fuses dont usually blow for no reason, usually because a shorted wire or burn out component "pump". Here is a fuse panel diagram. Let me know if you wre looking in the right location for fuse 41.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, we are looking at the same diagram. My panel, as you picture it above, has no fuse in #41. It has a 15 amp in #42. I can find no reference to a fuse requirement for #42 in my owners manual. Guess we keep trying.

As mentioned, both of the fuses in the under the hood panel which are supposedly for the windshield wiper system check OK.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The next round. As repodrted earlier today, at about 3:50 p.m., I had no wipers, no washer, etc. I have done nothing to try to improve the situation,other than checking the fuses and contacting you. Later this evening, I tried both the wipers and the washers. Now, I have wipers. Still no washer pump.

As stated earlier, fuses 1 and 19 in the fuse panel under the hood both check positive, and there is no fuse in the dash panel, location #41.

Thanks for your continual help.

Ok, it looks like the earlier year fuse 42 was for the wiper washer so swap that out with another fuse to see if it helps. If not use a voltmeter or testlight to see if there is power on fuse when switch is pressed if so access wires going to pump and check for good power/ground. If both are good replace pump. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan, thanks. I have checked the voltage (>12) on fuse 42 in the end of the dash, and have also checked the voltage on fuse 1 and fuse 19 in the box under the hood. All voltages are >12.

Interesting thing happened last eve. I pulled the windshield actuation switch on the steering column, and had wipers! both intermittent and continuous. I thought that someway, the gremlins were through with me, and that all was good Went out this a.m. to button everything up, and guess what? No wipers, no washers. Obviously there is a short somewhere. Worky some times, no worky other times.

Brings me to another question. Accompanying the windshield washer fluid tube from the pump to the nozzles is a wire. I assume, from looking at the (terrible) owners manual that this is for heating the nozzles, it shows a fuse 46 in the dash panel as 'heated washer jets' in the owners manual. Is there any way that a fault in that wire could cause the pump and the wipers not to work? Fuse 46 has >12 volts to and from it.

I'm having a tuff time finding a good wire diagram for this. I'm going to have to opt-out and let another expert help. Someone will respond automatically so do not reply or question will be locked to me only. Thanks.