Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

Volkswagen Passat Can I change the air bag module in my 2003

Can I change the air bag module in my 2003 VW Passat myself? There was no crash, flood or fire with the car...the light just came on and the service people said it can't be "reset" and has to be replaced. Where is the module located? will sell me a replacement module for $60-90 where the local vw service department wants to charge me $900 to replace it. Labor was only $25 so that tells me it doesn't take very long to replace. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
The module is actully pretty easy to replace although there really isn't any pictures of how to do it. It is on the center tunnel of the vehicle up at the forward most part of the passenger compartment. If you look up there from the passenger floor area with a flashlight you will see it there. It is bolted to the floor with three 10mm nuts. Two of them on the passenger side and one on the driver side. The driver side has a piece of plastic that is covering it and it is part of the tunnel but you can push the throttle to the floor and then bend the plastic back up out of the way without breaking it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is this something that I can feel safe about? What I mean is...I'm not overstepping my very limited knowledge of automobiles and replacing something that I really shouldn't be replacing myself? Are you familiar and are they OK to use? I'm nervous because this is my college daughter's car. I just can't afford $900 to replace it at the local service dept. Thank you for your help

It is not something to be nervous about. You unbolt it and you bolt the new one down. There is a purple lock on the connector you have to unlatch. If the airbag light comes on when the key is turned to on and goes out after the car is started the system is properly working and will properly deploy the bags and seatbelts in an accident.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry about not replying sooner - had a meeting run long last night.

Looks like I can do it - I'll give it a try.

Thank you for your expertise. I truly appreciate the help.

Hopefully I will not have to talk to you again (and I mean that in a nice way!)

Thank you!