vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2000 VW Beetle: Auto Theft alarm..trunk..hood is opened..ignition key

2000 VW Beetle Problem:Auto Theft alarm inadvertingly goes off. Sometimes when drivers door is opened, when ignition is turned on, when passenger door is opened or trunk or hood is opened. Sometimes it doesn't when the drivers door is opened or the ignition key is turned on. tried to reset by locking the dood and unlocking it but not sure of the correct way to do it. Key fob is broken and non operable. Is there a code to use to reset or even turn off the alarm system?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

What does the alarm do when you try to deactivate it on the drivers door latch key cylinder???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nothing, It doesn't respond when I try to stop the alarm by turning it in either direction or by locking both doors back or unlocking again. When we bought the vehicle 12 days ago the red alarm light on the door lock was not on or blinking even when the door was locked and the alarm was not sounding at all. It didn't start alarming until I locked the door,went in a store, returned to get in the car, turned the key cylinder the wrong way several times trying to unlock it and the red light starting flashing. When I turned it the right way to unlock the door and opened the door the alarm went off and I couldn't deactivate it. It stopped after 20-30 seconds. Since then we have had the problems. At first the alarm would go off by opening the drivers door, then that stopped and it would only go off when the ignition was turned on, that stopped and I thought it had reset until I opened the passenger door. Since then it only goes off when the passenger door is opend, when the hood is opened or the trunk is opended.

Do me a favor check to see if when you open the drivers door the puddle light on the inner door panel comes on check this with both front doors please reply with results thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK>Today I opened the doors and the puddle light on the drivers side did not come on but the one on the passengers side did. Also the alarm ususally goes off when the passengers door is opened but last night when we got home my wife opened the passenger door first and the alarm did not go off. It did not go off today when I opened the passenger door but it did go off when I popped the hood. It stopped after 20-30 seconds
Ok the issue you have is a faulty drivers side door latch you will need to remove the inner door panel and the window regulator\ to be able to replace the door latch the micro switch build inside the latch is bad. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!