Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

airbag light stays on my 2004 beetle covertible

There is a recall to replace the crash sensors on 04 convertibles. I would take it in for that it is free. You won't be able to get the light off without a scan tool so even if you fix it you won't know. It is either the crash sensors or the driver seatbelt buckle is faulty.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This car has no warranty and I've been advised that this repair could't work is this a fuse problem. cost up to $1000.00 is that true? Sideview mirrors also don't work is that a fuse problem?

No it isn't a fuse problem. It is the crash sensors or the seatbelt buckle like I said. It has nothing to do with warranty, VW was forced to fix this free of charge on any car unless it has a salvage title.

I am sorry I didn't answer your question as much as you needed. I saw you posted again. The airbag system needs a scan tool to figure out what is wrong. Since the other tech said your recall has been done. So it is most likely the driver belt buckle but you have to have a scan tool to check for sure.