David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

2 VW Jetta: Trunk wont close after trying to slam it..cold weather

Customer Question

Having problems with a 2005 1/2 VW Jetta trunk closure. Trunk won't close after trying to slam it shut several times. Seems to be worse in the cold weather.
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Very common issue with the latch. You will need to replace the trunk latch on this car. We have seen a very high fail rate of the trunk latch. The new latch is an updated one from VW. Only available at the dealer. Simple enough to change by removing the trunk liner cover. Clips all around, and a couple of Phillips screws inside the pull handles. Once removed it is a simple bolt on and off. No adjustments needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband tried taking the liner off last night and was able to get the bottom end undone but the top part wasn't going to budge. Where are the screws that he needs to remove before he attempts it again? Thanks
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

The clips are all around the outer edge of the liner. The screws are located on the lower part were you would put your hands to pull down. See picture below. There are two screws in each of the pockets.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a picture of the bolts that need to be removed to change the latch? Thanks
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Hear is a picture of the latch

graphic

David, VW Master Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the accept and bonus. One note I left out, when you drop the liner, the emergency release cable is still attached. Have him use caution when dropping the liner, as to not let it drop, it can cause the plastic cable retainer to break. Once the liner is lowered, he will see the clip to remove the cable. It is a simple repair, a little difficult the first time doing it, but should be done within the hour. Also the clips on the cover at times may pop off the cover and stay attached to the trunk it self. Should any clips get stuck on the lid, he will need to remove them and slide them back on the cover so that it does not rattle later.

Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year

Thank you for using Just Answer.