Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I need help getting my radiator filled on my 2000 vw beetle

Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

you need to remove the reservoir cap while the engine is cold...start the engine..turn the heater on max..let the engine idle...keep coolant on hand and add as needed...do this till the engine is at operating tempeture...be careful,some coolant may gush out with the air..after the engine is warm,the coolant has leveled out and full and the heater is hot..install the cap.....you have air in the cooling system,this will take a little while to get out,,this procedure should do it

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right now my car is HOT...I will try your method aand accept answer as soon as I can get the cap off...

FYI, I did try this method at first when I originaly did the fluid, but even after I heard the thremostat "click" open the fluid did not go into the engin, it did as you atate it started to overflow, but was unable to get any more in there. I called Autozone and they told me the same "air in the line" and told me to take off the top hose pour the fluid in there....this is when I found the plug in the line and tried that.....this is where I am today.

How long do you suggest to let cool down before opening again?, I just turned the car off about 45 minutes ago

well..just make sure it is cool enough not to have pressure on it..45min.should be enough,,put a big rag over the cap and loosen it slowly,,be careful not to get burnt

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much "gallons" coolent should I expect the raidiator/overlflow tank to hold

well

sense some may come out...keep adding till the engine and the heater is hot and the reservoir is full...maybe around 1 1/2 gallons,,depending on how much you already have in the system

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

K

Been running now for a while, and the water is "boiling in the overflow tank, and is not taking any more in...but blowing cold....

Thermostat?

how hot is the engine?keep an eye on it..and keep adding coolant as it will take it...the thermostat should not go bad from just replacing the coolant,,,but is a freak possibility

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Engint temp indicator is where? I only have a thermostat temp that is a blue light untill the engine is warm...then turns off unless running hot then turns red....the red ligh is not on, but it is not taking any more water.

Again I just bought this car, and was doing a "tune up" when I seen the discolored warer and decided to change it out....here we are

is the heater hot yet?if not,keep doing this,,sense you dent have the gage,,keep an eye on the temp light..the thermostat should open in a while and let it take more coolant

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just turned the car off...the radiator fans kicked on and the temp gauge turned red "overheated" and it would still not accept any more water

ok let it sit for a while.leave the cap off...the heat from the engine may open the t-stat....the problem is there is no coolant at the stat to get hot and open it..wait for a while with the cap off

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sht it closwed cap before turning it o

ff

ok...wait till it cools,,then retry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was able to remove the cap with no harm...I will monitor and keep you advised...how long should I do this for, before deciding to change the t-stat?

when it heats up,,it should take more coolant...but,if it doesn't,,you may in fact need to replace the stat,,,though this is not likely from just changing the coolant

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again I only drove the car 2 times before doing the drainage....Not enough to see if the heat even worked.

If this is not the t-stat..where do I go from here?

Also any other comcerns with this vehicle I should be aware of? I have a 6 month warantee with it and want to cover all concerns

If I need to pay more for all your advice..LMK

oooooo

i c..so,you don't know if the heater ever worked....yes,replace the thermostat....it is possible for it to have a blown head gasket..if you replace the thermostat,and it is still doing this,,consider returning the car,,it may have a blown head gasket

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have only driven the car once that the red light came on "this time", and it does not blow white smoke from the exhaust is that helps. I had a pontiac that blew head gaskets several times, and the white smoke is what they told me to watch out for
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just checked and added about a qt of fluid...is this enough?

a blown head gasket wont always blow steam out of the exhaust...it depends on where it blows..it can even up the pressure in the cooling system,,causing the coolant not to move making the get hot...try a t-stat first

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.