gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

VW Jetta: 2.5L..with cil codes p2279, p0507, p0171..gasket..hesitation

Customer Question

I have a 2005 2.5L VW Jetta with CIL codes P2279, P0507, P0171, P300, P301 (Cyls 1 and 5)... what could this be?? A PVC gasket tear??

The car is running great... good idle, no hesitation. I understand what the codes are, I was looking for these to be a common signature for a common issue or failed part.

The MAF has been replaced but the errors still occur.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 3 years ago.

gomi_otaku :

you have an intake air leak somewhere- it is registering too lean (P0171) There isn't a lot that can go on this, I would recommend checking all the hose clamps on the intake between the Mass Air Flow meter and the throttle body.

gomi_otaku :

There's always the chance that your MAF is faulty

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I kind of derived there was an air intake leak somewhere... I was trying ot narrow down the "easter-egging" and was looking for the signature of so many error codes to characterize a common problem. There just seemed to be too many related errors, which led me to think that there was a common faulty item...

If you have a scan tool that can read measuring value blocks, then you could see what the MAF long term reading is- in the factory scan tool and VAG-COM it is MVB 32. If it is outside -7 to +7 in the long term reading then the MAF is faulty and having to correct too far. If it's a major deviation in the short term (idle) reading, then you have an air leak.

There haven't been any "common" air leaks on this engine compared to the 2.0T (PCV valve)

You can always check and see if there is a lot of suction on the hose that leads from the PCV valve on the valve cover down to the intake hose near the throttle body.

Edited by gomi_otaku on 12/14/2010 at 10:52 PM EST
I just had one do the exact same thing in the shop today- try taking the oil cap off with the engine running, it will be sucked down. The PCV is the problem, the valve is sticking and I am replacing the entire valve cover with PCV valve (internal)